thegoldenwaste's avatar

• Joined Jan 9, 2011
  • ? / M

Mushishi

Feb 26, 2011

Oh hey, we are just one more away from reaching my age of 22. This is number 21, so we will have to wait just a little bit longer for that one. In this community anime review for A-P, I am looking at the marvelous and wonderful Mushishi. As usual, no spoilers (not like you can really spoil the plot of an episodic anime) and no cursing in my reviews. Speaking of which, please read and check out my other reviews. I like comments and criticism of my reviews so I can better improve on future reviews here. Thanks and onwards into the Mushi realm!

Story; This particular anime series is composed of mini-stories about a mushi master named Ginko going around, exploring and learning about mushi. Seems pretty simple, right? Well, it really is not. Each mushi has an unique characteristic, it can be anywhere from downright creepy to pretty cool, but no matter what is always has consequences and characters must face it. It is interesting to watch as Ginko deals with various mushi. It is very methodical and sometimes cringe-worthy.

Animation; Gorgeous, beautiful with an antique rustic color. That sums up Mushishi's animation pretty well if I do say so myself. Character designs are unique and very realistic in a way. They do not particularly look overdrew or inaccurate for humans. The mushi however, are unique and different. Every single one is something new to behold and wonder at. Mushishi is very easy on the eyes and can appeal on many levels to many people. It is a true show piece for those who think anime is just for kids.

Sound; I am probably overusing the word but I think it fits Mushishi's soundtrack well: haunting. From the opening to the ending tune, with the background music in-between, it is just purely haunting and pretty creepy. It is a rustic and antique-type soundtrack. I listened to the English language track for my viewing and it is perfect to listen to. It's just as calming and respects the original work excellently. Haunting but beautiful with a calming and excellent English track, what is not to love?

Characters; There is only one major character and that is Ginko. He is a pretty cool and level-headed guy. However, with his extensive knowledge of mushi, I do not want to be on his bad side if I were to piss the guy off. There is another character, not seen as often, recurring if you will. That is the doctor that Ginko occasionally goes to visit and give strange items that he gets on his travels to him. It's explained but it is still weird. Otherwise, that is pretty much it for characters.

Overall; With great stories, beautiful animation, haunting pieces of music and likable character in Ginko, I can highly recommend Mushishi. If you have not seen it yet, do so immediately. Do not walk, but run to watch this. If you have read every review for Mushishi and are still uncertain, take this reviewer's word for it. It is worth it. 100%. No, that doesn't even do it justice.

9.5/10 sound