thegoldenwaste's avatar

thegoldenwaste

• Florida
  • Joined Jan 9, 2011
  • ? / M

Welcome to my fifth community review of an anime series on Anime-Planet. With this review, I am going to be looking and giving my opinion on the anime series The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, a 26 episode series animated by Tatsunuko Pro in 1993. No spoilers or cursing in my reviews, so you can read them without any problems and recommend them to younger people. Please comment and review my review. They can be very helpful for future reviews. Thanks and onto the review!

Story; Justy Ueki Tylor is the great uniter, but he is an idiot and a genius. The show has a solid plot of trying to stop aliens from destroying humanity. Pretty basic and ordinary, right? Wrong. Tylor is not ordinary. Not at all. Not at all. There is a word that perfectly describes Tylor as a series and that word is charming. There is so much that the story has to offer from romance, drama to downright fun and games. It has a little bit of everything for everyone and that is rare for anime these days.

Animation; For being animated in 1993, it's actually surprisingly good looking. Tatsunuko Pro did a wonderful and solid job with this show. The designs of the ships and characters (both human and alien) are superb and very pleasing to the eyes. I have seen the original animation and the remastered version. I would highly recommend seeking out the remastered video and audio. It's a significant difference when you compare the two.

Sound; The background music is pretty goofy at times, but so is Tylor. The same can be said about the opening and closing songs. Although there is distinct charm with this series' choice of music. It's appropriately and tastefully done to respect the work. The Japanese track was well done and the English track equally so. I could safely recommend watching Tylor in either of the languages. It just sounds fantastic.

Characters; Charming characters in a charming series. Tylor is all about the characters. They can be largely entertaining in every episode. From the lovely Azalyn, to the stern Yamamoto, to the cute twins and beyond. Although I cannot forget about the titular character for it would be a crime against the universe to do so. Tylor is easily one of the most enjoyable and entertaining lead characters in all anime. It's a solid character drama with great growth.

Overall; Irresponsible Captain Tylor is a fantastic comedy series from the days of old. There is a massive amount of charm in this series. I am going to recommend watching it. However, I am not going to go as far to say watch the OVA series too as apparently it ends with a cliffhanger whereas the series does not. That said, if you want more animated adventures of Tylor and his crew, go ahead as I am sure you probably will not care - you will just be glad to have more Tylor! Tylor is addictive stuff and I would not blame you. Bottom line, just watch it. Do yourself a favor.

9.5/10 story