Thoughts for the week: Many thoughts this week!
Content Updates: Reviews coming soon!
Anime Updates: - I'm watching Mayoiga. It's pretty sweet :D
Manga Updates:- Hunter x Hunter is back on hiatus... *sigh* This series will never get finished... It's so depressing.
Gaming Updates: - I've nearly beat Skyward Sword!
Life Updates: - My girlfriend and I have our 7 year anniversary coming up! :3
Upcoming Reviews: One Punch Man, One Piece
Currently re-watching (Yes I do that): Nothing! Although I'd love to rewatch Yu Yu Hakusho sometime
Currently watching: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakbale (weekly), Mayoiga, D. Gray Man (2006), One Piece
Planning to watch next: A Certain Scientific Railgun
Currently stalled: A lot of shows. So many in fact that it's become pointless to put a list of them there. Let's just about 20 shows, all of which I either have no time for, desire to watch at this moment, or just simply can't be bothered with for a while.
Currently missing: Hunter x Hunter, World Trigger *cries*
Currently reading (Manga): Berserk, Tsubasa Chronicle (Collecting the volumes very slowly), Attack on Titan
Best show that is currently airing: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable (Jojo's back to fill the hole left behind by World Trigger! ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORAAAAAAA!!!)
Upcoming Anime I'm most excited to see: Berserk (2016), D. Gray Man: Hallow, Seven Deadly Sins Season 2, Rage of Bahamut Season 2, Attack on Titan Season 2
Rating for the Upcoming Anime Season (Spring 2016): 5/10 (Saved from being total shit by Berserk, D. Gray Man and Psy Nan)
Predicted Best Show of the Upcoming Anime Season (Summer 2016): Berserk 2016 (That's right, Berserk is back and it's a sequel to the Golden Age arc too! It's going to be very heavy on CGI, but I honestly don't give a fuck. Berserk is one of the greatest stories told in Manga, and any adaptation that stays true to that story is welcomed in my book. I hope it doesn't disappoint)
Predicted Worst Show of the Upcoming Anime Season (Summer2016): DAYS (Hey look! It's another low stakes, boring Sports Anime! This time it's about Soccer! Because no one's done that before! Oh wait... Captain Tsubasa. Sadly this is yet another Fujioshi catering piece of shit and won't be good. Like Captain Tsubasa. Instead it's going to be Kuroko's Basketball: Soccer Edition - Spoiler Alert: That means it's going to be shit!)
Predicted Most Overhyped Show of the Upcoming Anime Season (Summer 2016): Mob Psycho 100 (This may as well not even be a prediction, it's an undeniable fact that this show is going to be hyped to the moon and back. Why? It's another series based on a Manga by ONE, that guy who created that fucking unfunny trainwreck that was One Punch Man. The Saitama fanboys will be giving this 10's before it even starts fucking airing and it will remain in the top rated Anime for years as a result, just like One Punch Man. The premise sounds some what more interesting, but I can already tell it's going to be similar in structure and tone, and ONE can't write a plot for shit.)
Predicted Most Underrated Show of the Upcoming Anime Season (Summer 2016): Saiki Kusou no Psi Nan (This is actually a very similar idea to Mob Psycho 100, only its Manga came first, nobody is going to care about it, and it's actually going to be good. It's based on a Comedy series that runs in Shonen Jump and the Manga is pretty fucking good stuff. Looking forward to this one and hoping it'll end up in my tops. Fingers crossed!)
There are a few other shows that stand out, such as the new season of D. Gray Man (which is sadly only 13 episodes) and a 4 episode Seven Deadly Sins mini-series which should be fun until Season 2 gets made.
Taboo Tatoo also looks pretty interesting and 91 Days which looks like it could offer some fresh things we don't get to see often in Anime (or it'll end up like "Joker Game" and it'll be shit).
Overall, it's a fairly decent season, mostly because Jojo is still running and Berserk and D. Gray Man are getting new seasons. The rest isn't much to scream about (except Psi Nan).
General Statistics About Myself:
Name: TheCrimsonClaw, Crimson
Real Name: Gary
Birthday: 14th August
Hair Colour: Dark Brown (Dyed)
Eye Colour: Blue
Location: Glasgow, in the most amazing little house someone could ask for :D
Relationship Status: Taken by the most amazing girl in the world, Cheri <3 Love her to bits <3 She's my life <3
Occupation: Games Tester
Stupid Anime Statistic Things that I stole from Kaelja because it was a cool idea and I wanted to do it too:
Nen Type: Transmuter. According to the Nen Type personality test I have the traits of a Transmuter.
Chakra Element: Lightning because it's funky and looks the coolest.
Dying Will Flame: Cloud because I'm a drifter.
Devil Fruit: Op-Op Fruit because it's weird and quirky and I think it's awesome.
World Trigger Weapon: Primary Trigger: Kogetsu, Optional Trigger: Grasshopper.
Jojo Stand: The World because stopping time and screaming 'THE WORRRRRLD!' at the top of your lungs is epic.
Pokemon: Cyndaquil because its so awesome!
Digimon: Skull Greymon because... I like how he wrecks everything and can't be controlled.
Duel Monsters Deck: Zombie/Vampire Deck because constant resurrection tactics are awesome!
All about me:
I'm just your average guy who loves anime and video games.
My favourite Mangaka is Yoshiro Togashi, he's a genius. My other favourites are CLAMP, Kentaro Miura, Akira Amano, Hirohiko Araki, Daisuke Ashihara and Katsura Hoshino. As you can tell, I have a thing for Mangaka's who go on constant hiatus' or cancel their series. It's an unfortunate taste (although Miura and Hoshino are finally back from hiatus!)
My favourite animation studios are Production I.G, Gainax and Madhouse because they have the best consistency when it comes to animation and producing good shows and adaptations.
I despise Kyoto Animation and Studio Pierrot. Kyoto Animation do nothing but make the same aimless moe crap with the exact same art style for every show they do, and the only decent titles they ever made were "Full Metal Panic" and "Beyond the Boundary". Pierrot just make terrible adaptations that are either too slow paced or too fast paced compared to their original Manga. And their budget has gone to shit after the original "Naruto" Anime ended.
My top 25 Anime are (As of 25/07/2015) [Reviews for those I've reviewed included]:
1. Hunter x Hunter (2011) [Review: http://www.anime-planet.com/users/thecrimsonclaw/reviews/13931]
2. Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
3. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure [Review: http://www.anime-planet.com/users/thecrimsonclaw/reviews/15495]
4. Neon Genesis Evangelion
5. World Trigger [Review: http://www.anime-planet.com/users/thecrimsonclaw/reviews/19154]
7. Eden of the East
8. WIXOSS [Review: http://www.anime-planet.com/users/thecrimsonclaw/reviews/17207]
10. Yu Yu Hakusho
11. Serial Experiments Lain
12. Katekyo Hitman Reborn [Review: http://www.anime-planet.com/users/thecrimsonclaw/reviews/16578]
14. Hellsing Ultimate
15. Magi [Review: http://www.anime-planet.com/users/thecrimsonclaw/reviews/17423]
16. The Seven Deadly Sins
18. Gurren Lagann
19. Sword Art Online [Review: http://www.anime-planet.com/users/thecrimsonclaw/reviews/13895] (It was my first review ever, and needs editing though)
20. Death Note [Review: http://www.anime-planet.com/users/thecrimsonclaw/reviews/13988]
21. Hajime no Ippo
22. Attack on Titan [Review: http://www.anime-planet.com/users/thecrimsonclaw/reviews/15407]
24. One Piece
25. Mirai Nikki [Review: http://www.anime-planet.com/users/thecrimsonclaw/reviews/18425]
The rest of these top Anime will be getting reviews very soon. I also predict that the list itself will also be undergoing some changes, as I am currently watching/planning to watch some shows that have the potential to make this list. I'll probably end up making it a Top 30 in that case.
My favourite written/drawn Japanese works are:
1. Utsuro No Hako (Light Novel) [One of the smartest and most compelling works I've ever read. Looking forward to the eventual epilogue]
2. Gekkou (Light Novel) [Also very smart and compelling, with a fantastic protagonist I could strongly relate to]
3. Tsubasa (Manga) [The best Manga I've read, and miles ahead of the Anime. Plus, it's complete]
4. Hunter x Hunter (Manga) [It has the greatest story amongst all Manga I've read, however, the lazy art and hiatus' prevent it from being number 1 here. Also, the Anime is far superior in every single way. Still the best Shounen of all time]
5. Parasyte (Manga) [One of the first Manga's I ever read way back when I was young. My first Seinen series, filled with amazing writing, character development and gory as hell stuff. A true masterpiece of a Manga]
My favourite genres are:
Battle Shounen, Mecha, Mystery, Psychological and anything with a unique concept or something fresh. I also really like deconstructions and symbolic works that provide the viewer with deep and meaningful messages and/or critique.
My least favourite genres are:
Slice of life, Sports, Moe, or anything that is a rehash of stuff that's been done time and time again. I don't see much point in watching shows like these because they simply mirror real life. I watch Anime because it is exciting, because it is different and because it can tell stories that no other medium can tell. Why would I want to watch someone's school life? I can watch a movie or TV series about that, or I could simply recount my own experience at school. There are no stakes, plot or anything going on in them. They're not for me.
My top 5 Male Anime characters are:
1. Killua Zoldyck (Hunter x Hunter)
2. Fai D. Flourite (Tsubasa)
3. Tsunayoushi Sawada (Hitman Reborn)
4. Jin Yuichi (World Trigger)
5. Yang Wenli (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)
My top 5 Female Anime Characters:
1. Asuna Yuuki (Sword Art Online)
2. Lucy Heartfillia (Fairy Tail)
3. Akira Aoi (WIXOSS)
4. Rei (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
5. Yuno Gasai (Mirai Nikki)
My top 5 Anime Villains:
1. Meruem (Hunter x Hunter)
2. Seishirou Sakurazuka (Tokyo Babylon/X/Tsubasa)
3. Hisoka (Hunter x Hunter)
4. Griffith/Femto (Berserk)
5. Byakuran (Katekyo Hitman Reborn)
My top 5 Anime Soundtracks:
1. Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (Beautiful stuff)
2. Hunter x Hunter (2011) (Epic stuff)
3. Sword Art Online (Epic stuff done by the same artist who did Tsubasa's OST)
4. Dragon Ball Z (The english soundtrack, not the shitty Japanese one)
5. Legend of the Galactic Heroes (Beautiful epic space opera stuff)
1st Anime: Dragon Ball Z
5th Anime: Death Note
10th Anime: Tsubasa Chronicle
50th Anime: Monster
100th Anime: Eden of the East
150th Anime: Deadman Wonderland
200th Anime: Berserk Movie III: Descent
250th Anime: Selector Spread WIXOSS
300th Anime: Erased
My Anime Awards (Starting from 2010):
Anime of the Year: Tatami Galaxy
Anime of the Season:
Winter: Durarara!! Spring: Angel Beats! Summer: Shiki Autumn: Panty and Stocking
Worst Anime: K-ON!
Anime of the Year: Kaiji
Anime of the Season:
Winter: Level E Spring: Toriko Summer: Mawaru Penguin Drum Autumn: Mirai Nikki
Worst Anime: Deadman Wonderland [Review: http://www.anime-planet.com/users/thecrimsonclaw/reviews/15592]
Anime of the Year: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (2012)
Anime of the Season:
Winter: Another Spring: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Summer: Sword Art Online Autumn: Shinsekai Yori
Worst Anime: Kuroko's Basketball
Anime of the Year: Magi: The Kingdom of Magic
Anime of the Season:
Winter: Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited Spring: Attack on Titan Summer: Blood Lad Autumn: Hajime no Ippo
Worst Anime: Free! Iwatobi Swim Club [Review: http://www.anime-planet.com/users/thecrimsonclaw/reviews/13905]
Anime of the Year: Hunter x Hunter (2011) [It ended that year, so I'm putting it here, even though it was the best Anime for every year it was running anyway)
Anime of the Season:
Winter: Noragami Spring: WIXOSS Summer: Jojo: Stardust Crusaders Autumn: Parasyte -The Maxim-
Worst Anime: Free! Eternal Summer [Review: http://www.anime-planet.com/users/thecrimsonclaw/reviews/16013]
Anime of the Year: World Trigger: Fugitive Arc
Anime of the Season:
Winter: Jojo: Stardust Crusaders: Egypt Arc Spring: DanMachi Summer: Rokka no Yuusha Autumn: World Trigger: Fugitive Arc
Worst Anime: Free! Starting Days
Anime of the Year: TBC
Anime of the Season:
Winter: Ajin Spring: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable Summer: TBC Autumn: TBC
Worst Anime (At this point in time): Myriad Colours Phantom World
My Top 5 Japanese Role Playing Games/Series:
1. Tales of Series (Mostly Symphonia)
2. Earthbound Series (Mother Series)
3. Shin Megami Tensei Series
4. Dark Chronicle
5. Kingdom Hearts Series
My Top 5 Non-Japanese Role Playing Games/Series:
1. The Legend of Zelda Series
2. Super Mario Series (Specifically Super Mario World)
3. Mega Man Series (Preferably the Classic Series, but X and Zero are still great)
4. Legacy of Kain Series
5. Banjo Kazooie
More things about me:
I write reviews on here whenever I feel like it. I can be very critical, even of shows I enjoy.
My first Anime was "Dragon Ball Z", which I often watched on Cartoon Network as a kid. Afterwards, I discovered "Naruto" several years later, and I began to truly dive into the Anime world. My first proper Anime that wasn't one of the big fighting Shounen series was "Tsubasa", which I completely fell in love with and remained my top Anime for many years.
I have a girlfriend who I've been in a relationship with for over 5 years. Her name is Cheri and I love her to bits <3 She's my entire world and I wouldn't be the person I am today if she wasn't here <3 I don't know what I'd do without her in my life <3
We have a cat named Belle. We call her Babybell. She's adorable <3
I prefer English Dubs because it's the language I speak, but more recently, I have begun to watch subtitled Anime for frequently.
For a long time I was a dub purist, who would only watch dubbed Anime. However, I now watch subtitled shows. Despite this, I still prefer to watch a dub if one exists, unless it's shitty.
I don't really like "casual" anime fans. They are annoying, and they make us look bad. I have nothing against people being new to the medium, but the fact they lost their shit over every show they watch and rate everything a 10, no matter what is just kind of irritating and frustrating sometimes.
However I also dislike "elitist" anime fans who bash everyone who doesn't fit with their "superior" taste. They also make us look like stuck up morons. At the end of the day, we're all watching Japanese Animation that is made for entertainment and for monetary gain. It's silly to insult people and have heated arguments and flame wars over what is essentially nothing more than a consumer product made to make mountains of cash. It's Anime and people can enjoy what they want. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.
I do not like the phrase "Otaku" as I feel it is an unnecessary and stupid label. We are not "special", we are just normal people who like Anime. We are not a subculture or anything of the sort, and I find it silly that a lot of the community feel otherwise.
I also cannot stand Weeaboos. I get that people like Japan a lot, but seriously, you shouldn't love and worship an entire country solely because you like Anime.
As much as I go on and on about how my taste is absolute and the most accurate, I am willing to accept the tastes of others. I do not belittle people for liking a show I didn't like or hating a show I thought was the greatest thing ever. However, I do like to discuss opinions, and I am willing to engage in healthy and clean discussion with those who reject my taste.
I believe everyone is entitled to enjoy what they enjoy and no one else should have the right to tell them otherwise. While my reviews do come across as preachy at times (my "Free!" review especially), I do not believe in swaying people or forcing people to dislike or like something. I simply like to share my opinion with others and enjoy writing reviews. People should enjoy what they enjoy, even if I, or anyone else, finds it bad. One persons shit is another persons masterpiece, and that's fine.
I will never emotionally get over the fact that the "Hunter x Hunter" Anime has ended. That Anime single-handedly changed me as a person, and I miss it terribly.
I play video games a lot, I like JRPG's the most. Outside of that, I also really enjoy games by Nintendo. I am a firm believer that they still make some of the best games of our time.
I don't read Manga very often, and I always prefer Anime over it. Something about stuff moving just makes it more engaging to watch. However, if a title interests me enough and the Anime ends prematurely, then I will often go read the Manga.
I read Light Novels. Outside of those, I read Horror and Fantasy novels. Darren Shan remains my favourite author to this day. I also really like David Eddings and other Fantasy writers, such as Robert Jordan.
I used to make AMV's long ago. Nowadays I don't have time, but I'd love to go back to it sometime.
I'm a diehard Nintendo fan and have been since I was 3 years old, but I love all of the systems, and play them all. Except PC, because I find little appeal in spending 10 times the money for a machine that I can already get all its best games for on consoles I already own. My favourite consoles are my Wii U and PS3. I'm currently playing Tales of Zestiria, Super Smash Bros. 4 and Earthbound (Mother 2).
I work as a Functionality Tester for video games. Before that, I studied Games Design at University for four years. My lifelong dream is to become a Games Designer. Yes, a grown man can still dream! :P
I also enjoy ROM Hacking, and have hacked several retro games, although I've never finished a hack.
I enjoy writing, but can never find the time nor patience to do it. I can't even find time to review or reply to comments on here half the time.
I collect figures, I have about 20 or so at the moment. My favourite would have to be my Killua Zoldyck and Asuna Yuuki figures <3 They're so pretty! Perhaps I'll upload my collection sometime!
I actually buy my anime, as opposed to downloading it illegally. I only download shows that aren't released here on DVD, mostly subtitled shows. Once they are released here however, I buy them.
I am a big fan of Metal music and my favourite bands are Coheed and Cambria and Stratovarius.
I often play Anime Opening and Ending themes as I drive. It's become a very strange routine of mine.
I consider myself an incredibly lazy person, and often procrastinate due to said laziness. However, when I try hard at something, I normally do very well.
I have very minor OCD when it comes to specific things. My Anime collection is in alphabetical order for example, and if this is disrupted, I tend to lose my shit and freak out if I can't get it back to the way it was. I also have this crazy need to 100% every video game I play, which sometimes results in me quitting playing entirely or folowing detailed guides if I can't get everything.
Want to know more? Comment here or add me on the following:
PSN: TheCrimsonClaw [Play J Stars Victory Vs on PS4 with me!]
Nintendo Network: TheCrimsonClaw [Play Smash Bros and Splatoon with me!]
Steam: TheCrimsonClaw [I hardly use this, but if you're up for a game of Brawlhalla hit me up!]
Xbox Live: TheChronosCat [Never use this. Ever. Seriously, I don't even pay for it any more.]
Skype: TheChronosCat [Rarely use this. Only on special occasions.]
Runescape Kirito-Kun [Yes, I managed to get that name on a popular MMO. No, I don't play any more, I've quit permanently. But if you want to check out my insanely sad playtime and stats, you're welcome to do so!]
YouTube: TheChronosCat [I used to do Lets Plays on here, but due to negative feedback and a lack of motivation, I stopped. Still, if you want to see a fine example of how not to do a Lets Play or want to watch me fail at some retro games, be my guest!]
Facebook: You wish :P I'm not giving that out. Unless requested.
About my watching:
- I rarely watch more than three shows at a time. This is because I dislike piling up multiple stories and having to take in all their separate information at once, as I tend to get a rather muddled up head when trying to recall multiple things from multiple shows. I usually strictly keep it to three shows at once, although under specific circumstances, I will go over this. Like right now... My watching list is getting beyond the joke to the point it's driving me insane thinking about it.
- I hardly ever watch ongoing shows, and if I do, I wait until they are nearly finished. The exceptions to this are very long shows, which I normally watch on an arc by arc basis, meaning I watch them after an arc is completed, then stop until the current arc is over.
- I never drop shows because I feel everything can improve over time, and if it doesn't, I've come far enough anyway, so I may as well finish it. No drop master race!
- I stall Anime sometimes, normally long shows because I prefer to take them in slowly an arc at a time.
About my reviewing:
- I do not base my review scores purely on enjoyment, rather, I look at the shows overall quality as a series, based on Story, Characters, Animation and Sound. Enjoyment should not be a factor in a critical review of a series, as it blinds ones opinion to score some objectively.
- That being said, almost every show I score high, I tend to find the most enjoyable anyway, as I'm a sucker for well made shows.
- I am a firm believer that a well written story, and great cast of characters are the most important elements of any good show, and that animation and sound are always secondary. Visuals can be important at times, but in most cases, if the story is crap, then no amount of fancy visuals can save it from being a bad show. There are some exceptions to this, but these are incredibly rare.
- Just because I gave something a low score, does not mean I did not enjoy the show at all or that I hate it. It just means the show was lacking in quality, did not meet my expectations or just simply wasn't all that great.
- I believe that hype kills most shows, and base my reviews around this belief. If a show is crazily hyped up, I will tend to address this in my review, and explain why it did/did not deserve the hype surrounding it. In some cases, hype can even affect my score of a show for either ruining or meeting my expectations due to hype.
- On the other hand, if a show is bashed to no end, and I enjoyed it, I will also address this for the same reasons.
- I can be a fairly harsh critic when it comes to reviewing things, to the point that most shows average at around a 6 or 7. Some people may view this as unfair, but when you consider the few shows that have a score at 8 or above, it's understandable why I score other shows, that aren't as good lower.
My review ratings system:
10/10 - An absolute masterpiece! Why aren't you watching this?!: Reserved only for near perfect shows, that are almost flawless in every aspect. A true masterpiece. This does not necessarily mean a show is perfect. However, any shows with this rating are the closest thing to perfection. So far, only "Hunter x Hunter (2011)" and "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (2012)" have received this score from me.
9/10 - It's sheer brilliance if there ever was such a thing. Watch it. Now.: Only the truly amazing shows that are among the best are here. The shows that stand out from most others and do some powerful and new stuff.
8/10 - It's a truly excellent series, and one you should definitely check out.: Shows that are really great fall into this area. They have their flaws, but they're still brilliant and worth the watch.
7/10 - It's almost great and you should watch it.: Stuff that is really good, but not great falls into this range. Definitely still worth watching, but you'll notice it's flaws.
6/10 - It's very good and you should give it a chance.: Stuff that is good, but quite mediocre and nothing new falls into this. It's worth giving it a chance, but it's not guaranteed to be a hit with you.
5/10 - It's okay... Watch it if you feel it's necessary.: Shows that are... Okay fall into here... You can miss it out. You're not missing much.
4/10 - It's pretty bad. It's mediocre.: Nothing much impressive here, and you won't be missing anything spectacular.
3/10 - It's really bad and you should miss it out.: Reserved for some really, truly bad shows. You shouldn't really be watching this but I can't stop you.
2/10 - It's awful, awful, awful. Avoid it.: Reserved for some really horrendous shows with little to no merits. Avoid it like the plague.
1/10 - This shit is truly dreadful. Don't even consider it.: Reserved for shows that are so bad, words can barely describe how awful this shit is. Don't watch under any circumstances.
0/10 - KILL IT. FUCKING KILL IT. WHY DOES THIS SHIT EVEN EXIST?!: Reserved for abominations that are so bad that they can't even be considered anime any more. Some truly evil and horrible shit that you should kill, for if viewed, they will destroy your very soul. I am yet to award a series with this score, but I'm sure one exists out there somewhere.