theSentinel's avatar

theSentinel

• Joined Apr 18, 2013

Samurai Champloo

Jul 7, 2013

Samurai Champloo is a very fun anime.  When I think about it, it is the same kind of "fun" that Black Lagoon brings, or maybe Durarara.  It is episodic, and I normally HATE episodic anime.  Normally anime like this crush any chance of a good story developing.  However, this one didnt try to be anything more then what it was.  This made the anime awesome.  It meant to be this way and so it was easy to enjoy.  Sure there was the main story about the samurai who smells of sunflowers, but it was just a bunch of entertaining small stories along the way.  It was good that way.  Like I said before, this had very much the same simply fun appeal that Black Lagoon had.  Just have fun with it.  Sit back relax and enjoy the things they did well.

Story:  like I said, episodic.  It had the main story but intentionally filled itself up with other stuff in between, but nothing seemed wrong with it.  Not like those anime that are episodic and then expect to be awesome.  This one rose above those kinds of anime.

Animation:  Really crazy, there was one episode early on with a really wierd animation style, but other than that it was pretty good.  9 for being solid and making the action seem like action.

Sound:  some of the soundtracks were pretty good, but it seemed like it could use more in some places and some were out of place.  misplaced and maybe a little scarce is the reason this gets a 7

Characters:  being episodic doesnt mean that characters cant have development.  There were small arcs for Mugen, Jean, and Fuu.  It worked out well.  In the end I also really enjoyed the relationship between the 3 companions.  They each had their own  very uniqe and rather entertaining personalities.  A 10 for the great characters, development and relationships.

Overall:  the end was really sad.  I didnt want it to end.  I loved the characters and how things turned out.  Dont get me wrong, the end was just how it should have been.  I think they did a great job of ending the series.  I was just sad to be done.  It really was a fun anime.  Not perfect, but just freakin fun.  9 out of 10, go check out Samurai Champloo.