theSentinel's avatar

theSentinel

• Joined Apr 18, 2013

Sousei no Aquarion

Jun 25, 2013

I will not be doing this review the same as my more structured ones, to bring out the key ideas:

pros: -the prob of the day style was fun and funny
        -the characters started off separated but the relationships built well into the last
          couple episodes.
        -the characters became lovable
        -the enemy and story were pretty interesting

cons: -prob of the day style removes any chance of a flowing masterpiece of a storyline
        -the end kinda got weird, super love blast of justice, lets all just be friends even
         though you killed all my other friends, some kind of weird philosophy about how
         love is going to save the world, we just have to understand each others pain.
        -on top of the lovey dovey corny wierd sh*t that just makes none of the anime real
        or reasonable any more, the end ends up feeling rushed into "OMG THE WORLD IS
        DOOMED, WE MUST SACRIFICE THE MAIN CHARACTER AND LEAVE HIS LOVER BEHIND
        TO MAKE THIS ANIME GOOD AND NOT TOO PRESUMPTUOUS".  which is stupid.

Im rewriting this portion after some time and thought partly because I began watching Aquarion EVOL

Problem of the day style usually annoys me.  Not many animes do this episodic style and get away with it looking clean.  Often times it takes up too much time that could have been spent on the main plot.  However, Aquarion actually built in the essential character building into each episode with small advancements in the plot over time.  Closer to the end they accelerate the main plot and finish the anime.

Now I had to rewrite this review after watching some of EVOL because at first I hated hated HATED this ending, for a similar reason that Guilty Crowns ending kind of erked me.  However I then realized after about 10 episodes of EVOL that it is a continuation of the story from Aquarion.  Then suddenly I realized the awesomeness of this series.  The style of both were similar, episodic, but with some really nice character building.  Similar to Samurai Champloo you can just sitt back and kind of enjoy the flow of the anime.

While the ending could have been more smooth and less corny, they did an ok job at least.  If they had ended the story there it would have kind of sucked, but there is more to it.  Aquarion EVOL picks up down the road and you will find that the ending for this one was not so horrible.

I reccommend this anime, it is pretty good, but you need to watch it for Aquarion EVOL because that one is a must watch.