spicedwolf

X TV

21 JUN
2012

Story; 6/10

So, there are dragons of two types, those of Heaven and those of Earth, the dragons of Earth want to destroy the world and the Dragons of Haven want to prevent this from happening. Decent, but why? No backstory is given to this; all we know is the main character Kamui has to choose between the two as he is the chosen one or something.

The relationship between Arashi and Sorata was the best story, yet it was a subplot. Their romance was a little too fallacious to suspend my disbelief entirely, though they had an interesting relationship and their resolution was unexpected. The entire series should have been about them, in my opinion.

But instead, we are forced to follow the bland Kamui who is as stoic as a brick; it is bad enough we have to endure his repugnant voice. He sounds like an etremely boring version of Kurama from YuYu Hakusho.

The ending to the series is pointless, contrived, and makes the entire series feel like a waste of time. The story is at least there, the plot moves as it should, but there is no meaning or interest to the story.

Animation; 8/10

Solid, but forgettable. The action scenes are very fluid though, so I was impressed with the artist's attention to details regarding combat.

Sound; 4/10

Kamui sounds like a lame version of Kurama (as previously mentioned, and Fuma sounds like a mentally handicapped jock who suffered a concussion in gym class. Pay attention to how he says "Dragons of Heaven" all the time and you'll understand.

The rest of the sound is just there to be there. Same old repetitive soundtrack throughout.

Characters; 3/10

This score is so low because the series' minor characters are far better than the two main characters, although most of the side characters get killed off in battle, leaving us to deal with the stupidity of Kamui and Fuma.

Kamui comes back to Tokyo to find his friends, fulfill his mother's wishes, and then he has to decide whether he wants to kill or save the world? And when he decides to save it, Fuma goes full retard and becomes the leader of the opposition, killing his own sister?

What?

The side characters, like the little girl with the obsessive computer boyfriend and Arashi and Sotora should have been the main characters, or at least had more to do with the plot. Kamui and Fuma are stupid, and I couldn't force myself to re-watch the series to see if I could find a better perspective on their characters.

Overall; 5/10

X TV is a good series to watch if you're bored and need an anime to fill your time. But if you're looking for a rich, satisfying anime experience, stay away from this nonsense.

Other Anime Reviews by spicedwolf

Kiki's Delivery Service user review by spicedwolf

Kiki's Delivery Service

overall score: 8.5/10

InuYasha user review by spicedwolf

InuYasha

Voices of a Distant Star user review by spicedwolf

Voices of a Distant Star

comments

roriconfan avatar roriconfan
Jun 21, 2012

It is indeed a duller version of the formula of Fate/Zero. But the opening theme song is just amazing.