sothis

Pupa

BASED ON 2 OF 5 VOLUMES STALLED
21 NOV
2013

I rarely ever write reviews anymore due to having no free time, and definitely don't have time to write a full-fledged writeup of pros and cons - but Pupa was so disturbing that I feel compelled to at least write a warning to others.

I was first interested in Pupa when seeing the upcoming Winter anime list, as there's an anime adaptation airing soon. Horror? Check. Disturbing? Check. Anyone who knows me, knows I love me a good horror title, and try my best to read as many manga related to the genre as possible. It takes a lot, and I mean a lot, for me to be grossed out and disturbed by something.

Enter Pupa.

Look, the story isn't bad - it's kind of interesting and at least it's somewhat unique. A girl gets randomly infected by a virus, there's a nefarious researcher who knows more than she lets on who offers to 'help', etc.

But really, Pupa pushes the line for gore and disturbing. Unless you like watching people slowly get eaten alive over and over, or someone getting vivisected while conscious/alive, I'd suggest looking the other way on this one. Hands down.

tl;dr: this is too disturbing even for me. :|

Other Manga Reviews by sothis

Desert Storm user review by sothis

Desert Storm

Hataraki Man user review by sothis

Hataraki Man

overall score: 5.7/10

Akazukin Eliza user review by sothis

Akazukin Eliza

go to manga

• Story N/A
  • Art N/A
  • Characters N/A

comments

awesomestoryline avatar awesomestoryline
Nov 22, 2013

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Vafuder avatar Vafuder
Nov 22, 2013

I didn't personally find it that disturbing. Sure there are some extreme scenes in here, but it won’t make me lose any sleep anytime soon. We are shown guts being spilt from living humans in just about every zombie/gore movie there is, what makes a story truly horrible to me is if they manage to build up an atmosphere of true hopelessness. In my opinion the judge is still out on that one, I’ll keep reading for now! :)

AnarchicQ avatar AnarchicQ