snoflake's avatar

• Conjunction Junction
  • Joined Feb 6, 2010

Basquash!

Feb 7, 2010

Giant basketball playing robots. That one statement would have been enough to make me turn away from this series in a heartbeat. Thankfully, however, I began this show blissfully unaware of the plot and was able to see Basquash for the quality it had. Admittedly, the basic premise sounds ridiculous and when you throw in the strangest pet sidekick I've seen in awhile and the fact that the sport played can barely be called basketball, its strange that I liked it as much as I did.

(story) Basquash's plot is fairly straightforward throughout the series. The protaganist, Dan JD, needs to reach the futuristic society that exists on the planet's moon. Despite its predictability, the story remained fun and fresh to watch. I rarely felt bored throughout the 26 episodes and even though there wasn't any ground breaking aspects to its plot, Basquash was able to provide a quality story.

(animation) This is where Basquash really took off for me. The visuals are stunning throughout the series and the use of CGI blended in perfectly with the rest of the show. Not much else I have to say, it looked great.

(sound) The sound was a mix of good and average. The openings were your average jpop song and those were delievered as good as a jpop song can be. I especially liked the first ending and the background music was sufficient in helping the progression of the show.

(characters) Basquash has some unique character designs, whether it be Nike shoes or mammoth sized mammaries, and a vast array of likeable people. In fact, one of the few problems I had with this show was that I pretty much liked everyone. Their wasn't a signficant antagonist and that made it weaker in my opinion. I'm not going to say that this was a character driven show but Basquash has its fair share of character development and relationships.

I soon found myself immersed in the world Basquash presented and that is a testament to its entertainment. Because once you've got me accepting the use of giant robots to bounce a basketball across cities in a physics denying fashion all in order to ride a giant cannon shot to the moon, you, my friend, have just created a wonderful anime.

7.5/10 sound

griffioen says...

It is exactlly as you said, the sentence giant basketball playing robots would make me turn away of this anime too. But after reading your review I decided to watch it and I'm really glad I gave it a try.  I really enjoy watching this anime, And that moon is awesome.

Jan 18, 2012
Freakeris says...

Sound was awesome all all anime songs give me chill 10/10. Animation colorful realy good 10/10 !!!

Feb 21, 2010