snivets's avatar

snivets

• In front of my coffee cup
  • Joined Nov 14, 2009
  • 26 / ?

When I heard that there was going to be an anime adaptation for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, I was pretty excited. I'm not sure if the phrase "cult classic" is quite right, but people seem to really like it, and as I've said before, I'm not a huge manga reader. Anyway, I figured if everyone liked it, so would I.

Well I didn't. And I tried. I finally ended up dropping the show after realizing that I was watching it out of a sense of obligation to a well-known thing. I'll admit I feel bad about not finishing it, but I just couldn't make it through. Here are my reasons:

Reason 1: It looks like a manga put into motion. Why bother animating it if it just looks exactly like a manga? On top of that, the art style was not appealing to me.

Reason 2: The yelling. I can't stand 22 minutes of voice actors screaming their lines to make the story seem more intense. Especially when...

Reason 3: The dialogue was weaksauce. I don't need the characters to narrate their actions; I'm not an idiot. I also hate it when narration eclipses actual action.

Reason 4: The story was melodramatic and loses points in my book because it came off like creating a framework for the sole purpose of the fight scenes. Yes, that's a characteristic of the genre and maybe people like that, but not me. In my opinion, it causes the plot to forget its purpose and the characters to have weak development.

If JoJo floats your boat, that is totally cool; I'm not judging. It turned out to not be my thing, and that's totally cool as well.

TheStampede01 says...

I agree with Richaka, it's not really fair to judge all of Jojo (spanning 8 parts and thus 8 generations of main characters) on the first part only. If it really isn't your thing, thats understandable though, it's very heavy on GAR, exposition and ridiculous situations. Suspension of belief is a must for this series and those that are too stiff to allow logic to take a backseat are going to miss an incredible experience.

Apr 6, 2013
Richaka says...

I would emplore you to give the second arc a try (all new characters and plot) which starts after episode 10, and involves much less shouting, and much more clever battles. It is also worth noting that the first arc is considered to be the worst and pretty crap by its own author. Since JoJo's bizarre adventure is actually a set of storylines with all new characters and plots in each (with some links between each mind), please don't judge it based on the worst, shortest and first one!:)

Feb 11, 2013
Anajrob says...

I had exactly the same thoughts about this show. I wanted to like it but it's too cheesy for me. :D

Jan 20, 2013