snivets

Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto

21 NOV
2012

This is a cool show I watched a loooong time ago, and for some reason today I discovered that it wasn't on my AP list. The following review content is edited from a review I wrote on Crunchyroll.

I would like to start by mentioning the fact that I find Japanese history to be convoluted and generally boring, involving rice, taxes and land laws. This show, much like any other historically-based show, made me wish that I had paid a little bit more attention to my History of Japanese Civilization class because I would find it much easier to follow.

You probably haven't heard of this show because it is one of those slow-paced shows that lacks anything flashy or hyper. Like so many other less-popular shows, it appeals to a less mainstream and more sedate/adult audience. The plot, especially the supernatural elements, is a little confusing and convolutes as well.

There is plenty to appreciate about this show besides its use of history as a structure for its storyline. In particular, Akizuki's sword vs. Sakyounosuke's guns fight was an awesomely choreographed and poignant fight, symbolizing the struggle between tradition and modernity that is at the thematic heart of this show.

Moreover, the work done by a playwright and his theatre troupe to influence the flow of history is something that echoes the role of the media in today's history-in-the-making. Add in the hints of a love story and a young, attractive main male character caught up in his supernatural destiny, and you have all the ingredients for an enjoyable historical fantasy.

Overall, 7.5/10, because I would've liked to see a more character development and depth. If you're not a history nut, then skip this one.

Other Anime Reviews by snivets

Tamako Market user review by snivets

Tamako Market

overall score: 7.7/10

Natsuyuki Rendezvous user review by snivets

Natsuyuki Rendezvous

overall score: 6.5/10

Kotonoha no Niwa user review by snivets

Kotonoha no Niwa