snivets's avatar

snivets

• In front of my coffee cup
  • Joined Nov 14, 2009
  • 26 / ?

Let me start this review by saying, I am a complete sucker for any kind of food anime. I *love* looking at beautiful piles of bakery goodies. That is the entire reason why I picked this one up. But let's get down to business...

Story: This one is slow paced. It is mostly about the daily lives of some bakers and then a bigger story develops step by step, day by day around them. Either you like that sort of pace or you don't. Also, a lot of it--the simplicity of their lives, the fantasy aspects of swords and ships, and the blasé attitude which most of them take to the fact that they have no memories and washed up on shore and are now doing whatever--was really hard for me to relate to as a viewer, and it relaxed any potential tension in that arena. I also don't really appreciate the mixture of mecha and machine guns in the fantasy setting.

Animation: Nothing terribly spectacular, although I thought the lighting was generally well-done. The goodies were goodie. Character designs were ok, but kind of overdone and their clothing was not really convincing for the era they were living in.

Characters: Average. Overly positive. Not really deep or relatable-to. Not much development.

Overall: Boringly average. I like fantasy as a genre of novel, but I think it's difficult to pull off convincingly in anime. Take it or leave it.