snivets's avatar

snivets

• In front of my coffee cup
  • Joined Nov 14, 2009
  • 26 / ?

As far as two episode romance OVAs go, this one was not bad.

Story: It was fairly typical. Girl moves to remote town. Boy falls in love with girl. They go out. She has to go back to Tokyo. Well--that's the basic back story, which we get flashbacks to during the "real" story, which is that boy is on a school trip to Tokyo and is trying to meet up with girl. Unusual for an OVA, there's a lot of meat in the story here, including boy's previous romance with another girl from the same small town, as well as main girl's family issues. What could've been melodramatic (a la True Tears) wasn't, instead it came off as a rather positive story about two kids with very deep feelings for each other trying to make their long-distance relationship work.

Animation: Gorgeous. I really liked the train station parts, as well as the snowy field parts.

Characters: Again, with all the space of 50 minutes, these characters manage to be properly complex. There's not a lot of development, but you get a good sense of their hopes, dreams, and fears, as well as a good sense of their relationships with each other. AND the couple seems to have pretty good communication with each other, which is also unusual for the romance genre.

Overall: Not a waste of time if you like romances. It gets props for a hopeful ending, as well as for a fairly complex male lead who has (gasp) emotions. The animation was pretty as well.

6.5/10 story
8.5/10 animation

RingoStarr1991 says...

Man with the airing anime coming out now...I am a little afraid of how I will end up feeling about it. I loved it in the beggining but man the manga just kept going...and going...and going.

Jul 14, 2013