snivets's avatar

snivets

• In front of my coffee cup
  • Joined Nov 14, 2009
  • 26 / ?

UtaPri is an extremely light series. It was very pleasant and easy viewing, and didn't have any glaring flaws despite its very stereotypical reverse harem nature. Basically, a plain girl with no obvious talent makes it into prestigious school for idols and entertainers, actually has lots of talent, makes friends with a bunch of hot guys who all try to get her to be their exclusive composer, eventually causing them to form a 6-man idol group.

Story: I ranked the story 4/10 for predictability and cheesy moments, the kind where I rolled my eyes and said, "Am I really watching this?"

Don't let that fool you--the story sets itself apart from many anime of its kind by not having any romantic development whatsoever. I've seen some people complain about the dearth of romance, but I see it as a story move which served to deepen the actual relationships between the characters, hopefully in a set up for romance (which I hope the second season contains more of, or at least teases you in that inconclusive shoujo way). Deep relationships lead to more believable romance, so I guess I see it as a redeeming aspect of the show, rather than something that detracted from my enjoyment of it.

Animation & Sound: Yeah, MC's eyes are pretty weird. Sound is fairly cutesy and somewhat annoying, songs aren't bad or good, just stereotypical cheesy pop with questionable English thrown in. My favorite voice was the principal's, mostly because his over-the-top speech habits were actually consistent but his character wasn't overused, appearing at the exact right moments and never for too long.

Characters: The male characters all have slightly more personality than most flavor-of-the-week bishounen, which is refreshing. The main female is still plain and somewhat annoying, but its rare not to get that in reverse harems.

Overall: I have no idea if this show was good or bad, but it was definitely easy to watch. Probably a good choice if you like reverse harems, shoujo, or shows about idols.