snivets's avatar

snivets

• In front of my coffee cup
  • Joined Nov 14, 2009
  • 26 / ?

Amnesia

Apr 4, 2013

This was a trainwreck of an anime. All-around epic fail. The one exception was the character design, which was simply sumptuous and was the only thing that kept me watching. Utimately, the art was completely a waste given the content.

Wait, was there even content?

But I digress.

Story: The story didn't make sense at all until the last episode, and even then it made hardly any sense anyway. The characters were flatter than cardboard and about as flavorful. The main character was a nameless airhead and couldn't even make a decision without relying on the (male) characters around her.

Characters: What really got to me were two things. One, I feel that the final interaction between the main character and Ukyou would have been much more, I dunno, emotional/interesting/revealing/engaging, had I had some kind of idea what their past was truly like. And in this case, it's not enough to just tell it, it must be shown. Basically Amnesia breaks the first rule of good storytelling--you must show the main character in their familiar environment and comfort BEFORE letting all Hell loose on them. That way we have some kind of idea about what they lost. The way it was told in Amnesia, I had zero sympathy for the main character.

Two, and this is a biggie for me, this was not at all how I imagine anyone reacting to this situation in real life. I hate to yell about real life when discussing anime, but she hardly reacts to the whole situation!! There's no internal dialogue that reveals her feelings, she goes along with whatever is presented to her, she doesn't seem afraid, trusts Orion too easily, trusts all of her suitors too easily, etc etc. It just wasn't realistic for me.

Overall: Anyway, this anime sucked, like every adaptation of every otome game ever. Also every otome game ever. Seriously, ladies, quit buying into this crap. It allows people (men) to continue to believe we're vapid and substanceless.

Recommended for the type of people who think Black Butler is a masterpiece of the divine order, people who drool over flavor-of-the-week brooding bishies (and probably enjoy crap like Twilight and 50 Shades), and anyone who favors appearances to substance.

anime101101 says...

I agree with you that the story of Amnesia didn't make sense even after the last episode.

Oct 10, 2013
Ayesha says...

^ If you lump people like that together, you are very wrong.

Jul 13, 2013