skankfish's avatar

• Joined Jan 7, 2010
  • 30 / ?

Usagi Drop

Jan 11, 2012

Demograph: Very wide, but probably best for those entering or in the adult world (21+)

I disagree with other reviewers who claim that "not a lot happens" in Usagi Drop.

It's almost incredible how much development is involved in the characters. The essence of the show isn't the scenario so much as it is the inner workings of the two main characters. And in that respect an amazing amount "happens".

We watch as the little girl adjusts to a life without her father, managing to stay strong and optimistic for the most part, but still hurt and fragile within. We also watch a guy who has to abandon almost everything about his everyday life to raise this girl. He can't go out with his buddies, can't even do his job anymore.

We see him lonely, diminished, furious, but ultimately calm and responsible. A spark of compassion heartbreakingly grows into the figure of a matured man.

Really, this is a series about becoming a parent. Or even simply an adult, or a husband. It's about change and compromise.

And, along side that is a wave of cuteness. It's lovely, charming, touching etc.

However, I still feel there are some loose ends in the anime which I would rather not have had to wait for a second season for. Also, although it is lovely to watch, it's hard to believe that raising a child could be so easy. I have more trouble simply not impregnating my girlfriend.