It didn’t take more that a few days for Gosick to end and VOILA yet another loli detective rose to take its place. This one is a NEET shut-in too… who likes to spy on people through cameras… and films teen prostitution movies for extortion purposes… and what’s with the pedo-bait main picture here?
… Only in Japan.
Anyways, this is a detective show that has to do with mysteries and murders and extortions and… Oh whom am I kidding; it’s a JC Staff production. Nobody watches their loli shows for the story or the substance; it’s all about the lolis. And this one is a NEET shut-in stalker so I bet thousands of males will understand her problem and have their parents go buy a huge pillow with her on it… Hey wait a second; how can she be a NEET if she is a detective? Or how is she a hikikomori if she keeps talking to numerous people that come in her room? This show is contradicting its own premise! Doesn’t take a genius to figure out how intelligent it’s going to be. And don’t wait for it to actually build on the concept and show some development and excitement over extortions and murders. It’s an aimless, dull, stupid moeblob with some people talking as dead time.
So what else did I get from this thing?
- The production values are good for such a show; I didn’t expect cinematics and attention to lighting for THIS type of show. They did a very good job no only in making the girls moe but also in making the computer room feel natural, as well as the night-time scenes to feel like night.
- The main duo is very generic; the usual bossy loli cooldere that has as her personal slave a fail of a male specimen boy who for some impossible to understand reason all the girls have the hots for him. Add some moe cardboards and delinquents and you have a fully boring cast of people you will forget the second the episode is over. And yes, many are supposed to receive character development during the show but two episodes later they are rendered unimportant and are forgotten.
- The cases are simple to crack, as if they were a joke. We just need to accept Alice knows everything and has super technology that helps her analyze everything without ever leaving her teddy bear filled bed (I am not thinking of detective solving when imagining that).
- The plot is mostly moe comedy and human drama; there is very little actual detective work going on and even less interesting action scenes. It all plays out as calm as possible to the point you don’t even feel there ever was danger somewhere in all this.
- The ending goes for a last moment tragic event that is nullified with no effort thus again leaving you in complete apathy. The ending is just like the rest of the show without any actual conclusion (or purpose).
- And there is fan service. We can’t have a JC Staff anime without it; it would be an insult to their standards!
Overall? It had potential to be good but then JC Staff did its usual and created yet another poorly written show for 2D pedophiles with elements such as “detectives and mysteries” being nothing but useless wrappers for moe-moe crap. Total phail.
And now for some excused scorings.
ART SECTION: 8/10
General Artwork 2/2 (good looking)
Character Figures 1/2 (generic)
Backgrounds 2/2 (basic but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Animation 1/2 (basic)
Visual Effects 2/2 (good cinematics)
SOUND SECTION: 7/10
Voice Acting 2/3 (corny but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Music Themes 3/4 (not great but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Sound Effects 2/3 (ok I guess)
STORY SECTION: 3/10
Premise 1/2 (generic)
Pacing 0/2 (loose)
Complexity 0/2 (none; it’s slice of life instead of detective)
Plausibility 0/2 (none)
Conclusion 0/2 (dull)
CHARACTER SECTION: 3/10
Presence 1/2 (generic)
Personality 2/2 (cheesy but well founded)
Backdrop 1/2 (generic and simplistic but it’s there)
Development 0/2 (insignificant)
Catharsis 0/2 (there is nothing important to resolve)
VALUE SECTION: 2/10
Historical Value 0/3 (still remembered by some as an interesting retro title)
Rewatchability 0/3 (no reason to rewatch it)
Memorability 2/4 (no reason to remember it other than the visuals)
ENJOYMENT SECTION: 1/10
Art 1/1 (looks nice)
Sound 0/2 (sounds meh)
Story 0/3 (what story?)
Characters 0/4 (stereotypes)
This review has no comments. Leave one now!