roriconfan's avatar

roriconfan

• Thessaloniki, Greece
  • Joined Dec 22, 2011

Notice: In the slight chance you noticed I made a line of reviews for movies 1 to 7, let me clarify that I will not do the same for the eighth and the ninth. I skip them entirely because there is nothing to say about them other than being summaries of the main series with slight alterations, better production values, and a shameless crave to milk nostalgia instead of trying to make new stories of the likes of Dead End and Baron Omatsuri. Shame on you Toei! So moving along to the next one …

This is the tenth One Piece movie, theoretically taking place around the Impel Down arc. Just like the seventh, it is not focusing on any character specifically but since Brook is now part of the crew we can theoretically say it is dedicated to him. Something they didn’t do with Franky in the seventh since he was absent there. Damn you Toei!

Just like all movies, it is a filler mission with a good budget and a simplistic plot. In this case though they went to a lot of trouble to somehow blend it smoothly into the main series. Several filler episodes and scenes were shoehorned into it that were supposed to foreshadow the events of the movie. Did it work out? Nah, it was still sloppy if you ask me. Here they were in the middle of that prison and out of nowhere WHAM a flashback arc to something that happened a few months ago. And even if we are supposed to take the events of the movie as canon, they manage to do nothing but destroying the consistency of the main storyline. All of a sudden Impel Down is no longer an impregnable prison and Gol D. Roger’s main rival that was supposed to be his equal in strength is now matched by Luffy who is still owned by most high-rank marines and before he even learns Haki abilities. That is just crock; it makes the Pirate King to be a weakling by comparison. What was Oda smoking for writing a story that trashes his own setting?

Anyways, the story is weak as hell and despite trying to pass as super epic and world-shaking, it only ends up being a silly stroll of the Strawhats through a monster-filled island. I mean, seriously, it begins with the world being at the brink of collapse and several elite fighters gathering for the upcoming crisis and all it took was for the heroes to waltz through the enemy ranks and beat the crap out of the otherwise Sea Emperor-level threat. That was such a drag!

But that did not prevent the movie from having a very positive feedback from most of the fans. If you check out the average scores, this one kicks ass compared to the rest of the movies. Which in a way is misleading since in reality it was the following three reasons that made it appear as the best of them all.
1) It is the latest one so it is “supposed” to have the best score because of hype and novelty.
2) It took three years to see an actual new One Piece movie and not a disappointing summary.
3) It had lots of guilty pleasure. Seriously, they went overboard with how macho the guys and how sexy the girls are drawn.

And that is mostly why the movie was enjoyable for most fans. The humour was good for being written by Oda, the battles used all the most epic techniques up to that point in the story, there were lots of cameos of elite fighters from the main series, and everybody was looking all macho and sexy. What more is there to expect? A good plot? Who cares?

… I do and I loved what they went for in Dead End and Baron Omatsuri. Although the production values there were worse, at least there was something other than a goofy no-brainer with giggling boobs and trendy clothes in them. But hey, that’s just me; most people wanted fan service and they got it.

Overall, it is a shallow movie full of pointless poser action and a lame excuse of a story. The villains may be kinda funny but are otherwise empty shells with generic motives and their supposed decades-old plan of mass invasion was easily ruined by a handful of medium ranked pirates. But who cares; Nami’s boobs look so lively. MELORY, MELORY!

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 10/10
Analysis: General Artwork 2/2, Character Figures 2/2, Backgrounds 2/2, Animation 2/2, Visual Effects 2/2

SOUND SECTION: 7/10
Analysis: Voice Acting 2/3, Music Themes 2/4, Sound Effects 3/3

STORY SECTION: 2/10
Analysis: Premise 1/2, Pacing 0/2, Complexity 0/2, Plausibility 0/2, Conclusion 1/2

CHARACTER SECTION: 6/10
Analysis: Presence 2/2, Personality 2/2, Backdrop 1/2, Development 1/2, Catharsis 0/2

VALUE SECTION: 1/10
Analysis: Historical Value 0/3, Rewatchability 0/3, Memorability 1/4

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 1/10
Analysis: Art 1/1, Sound 0/2, Story 0/3, Characters 0/4

VERDICT: 4.5/10

4.5/10 overall

FrantACs says...

Shiki is no longer as strong as he used to be (heck even Whitebeard was weaker at the battle in Marineford, since he got older... Shiki is not the youngest one either and had a grave injury, remember?) and he was never on par strenghtwise with the Pirate King. He was most likely stronger in numbers.

n the Ed war the Pirate King - Gol D. Roger - had 1 single ship against a whole fleet of battleships that Shiki brought with him. (Imagine a Luffy vs. Buggy after the timeskip. Now that's how I would place Roger vs. Shiki strenghtwise.)

You just seem to ignore a lot of facts. Impel Down is suppoused to be impenetrable? Well, you saw how easily Luffy got in there. True getting out was a bit bigger trouble, but considering at the time Shiki was imprisoned, Magellan was not Warden yet. And even if there was someone with a Logia devil fruit, I think Shiki possesed Haki. He was able to fight Logias, or he just outran them. Same as Luffy.

"VALUE SECTION: 1/10 Analysis: Historical Value 0/3, Rewatchability 0/3, Memorability 1/4" - Are you f***in' kidding me?

The whole story was placed inbetween the Thriller Bark arc and the Sabaody arc. It only makes sense. And it's a movie. It had episodes that lead up to the Movie. I am glad this one is actually canon.

Music themes 2/4??? Seriously, you should go check your ears, 'cause there seems to be a problem. One Piece has one of the best OST out there. I'd give at least 3/4 for this one.

I am out of here...