This is the seventh Naruto movie, made around the time the protagonist finds out who his parents are. The movie abuses the time travel gimmick to offer some silly fanfic situation where he can meet them while they are still alive. Other than that, the whole thing is made without much care or love. It’s like they animated it just for the fans who wanted to see all the adults of the series still as kids and Minato kicking ass with his super elite powers. And the problem is, they didn’t even offer that. Minato barely does something in this movie any ninja couldn’t do better.
So the generic villain of this movie tries to take advantage of a power source sealed by the fourth Hokage, which ends up throwing him and Naruto back in time (Yamato too but he doesn’t matter at all). Minato was at that moment trying to seal the power source for the first time. As cheesy as this sounds, they could have made something decent out of it if it had good directing. Yet every ten minutes you get a situation where nothing makes sense.
- Naruto is presented like a completely useless and oblivious idiot who just rushes into trouble without any plan at all. Although he acts like that in the main series as well, after all the things he has learned he should definitely not feel like a complete rookie.
- So he ends up in a room with a wall that blocks the exit. Instead of easily breaking through the wall and chasing the girl he found there, he instead jumps upwards. That makes him look like he can’t even break a simple wall, something that he should have done if he is indeed not thinking at all.
- He gets out in a city, which is completely empty of people when he needs to fight some puppet robots and then gets magically filled with people when the battle is over. Convenient?
- He then saves the exact same girl he met from before by accidentally finding her like a needle in a haystack in that huge city, and at the exact moment someone tries to kill her. How much must one bend his disbelief to swallow that?
- Other Konoha ninjas appear at that moment where in a most forced way explain to him that he is from the future, and anything he does could change the flow of time. Well if that is the case then why are they treating his wounds? And skip that; how the devil do they know he is from the future in the first place?
- Then they find out there are no actual people in town. Something that took them years to realize, even when you can clearly see they are all puppets. What the devil does that mean, that for so many years not a single peasant or ninja went in the city for any reason? How about all the robot security or the children yelling for their parents? Don’t all that feel suspicious at all to all the numerous ninja villages?
- Then we learn how the villain used the city’s population in order to create a puppet army and fooled the princess to think there were crowds who loved her. Because it would be too simple to just capture her and just use her power to keep the power flow going in any other way. Does he even know how much energy was wasted for so many years, just to maintain some dolls moving around?
- So the princess saves all the civilians of her city. All 20 of them. That’s right, a city of 10.000 huge buildings was inhabited by 20 people and a few kids. Which is also not suspicious for some reason.
- Afterwards we get the cliché final battle where Naruto just uses his Rasengan to save the day like he always does. And only then does Yamato appear to save them from falling to their doom. He was apparently sleeping all this time. So let me get this right, Yamato went back in time just for a few seconds of pitiful aid in the end? And Kakashi was important to this mission for placing a few explosives here and there? Did he even care that there were civilians trying to get to safety at that very moment?
- And then they decide to wipe out their memories of the event so they won’t affect history with whatever they learned or did all this time. Nice way to render the whole movie useless. Plus, they don’t even perform the amnesia on everyone, since the other two Konoha ninjas, as well as the whole population of the city are not even inside the spell’s radius. Nice going you idiots. Furthermore, when Naruto and Yamato return to the present, nobody wonders why are they covered in so many wounds aside from the ones they had a few seconds ago, or why some of them are already treated nicely.
- And the movie ends with a girl appearing out of nowhere which accidentally happened to be the daughter of the princess and gives Naruto the knife before leaving. Yeah, it’s not like they just destroyed half of your mother’s city right now. And all Sakura has to say about all that is that Naruto is a pervert. Ok…
The whole movie is one big pile of horse manure. And it is even worse for not even having amazing production values. Everything looks and feels run down, crude animation, boring fights, ugly doll monsters, lazy dialogues, and so on. Amongst the most pathetic films I have watched in my life.
This review has no comments. Leave one now!