roriconfan's avatar

• Thessaloniki, Greece
  • Joined Dec 22, 2011

Chu-Bra!!

Apr 28, 2012

Every show needs to have something that makes it different than all the others in its category, otherwise it will be forgotten immediately. This one had a very original idea of sorts but still failed. The reason is simple; its premise was retarded and not interesting enough for long.

The show tries to pass for educational, which is what makes it both smarter and dumber than the average of its kind. Smarter because it has lots of rather taboo info on what makes a bra comfortable or how a girl’s body matures; I actually learned a couple of things myself. And dumber because IT’S ECCHI FOR PETE’S SAKE; who will watch it to be educated?

First of all let me make clear that I am not into the pantsu fetish. I never say no to some flash here and there but having a show dedicated just to underwear is simply too much. The ecchi genre has gone so closer to hentai these days and when most erotic comedies try to have as many fetishes as possible to keep us interested as much as they can, Chu Bra mysteriously chose to focus on just one fetish, that of underwear and anything else girls may wear; not hard to see how it will be underwhelming when it comes to fan service. So yeah, although I was interested in the first couple of episodes with its weird take on the subject, I soon lost almost all interest afterwards because the secrets of underwear weren’t that many or complicated for long and the series just went on doing random gags with a joke that was already getting old.

Down to it, its lack of variety is what eventually makes this show bad. Ok, if you are disgusted with men getting horny on soiled pants is a reason too; but seriously the biggest mistake is its lack of variety in fetishes. This is no longer the 80’s where you can tolerate plotless stories with a few innocent pantsu shots; we got greedy and fed up and now demand ten times more things going on at the same time. So this show with practically nothing for an ultimate objective and characters who hardly feel different by the end of the show is just too boring. I mean at first it was eye-catchy on what is going on with the lead girl; most thought she was turned to a child prostitute by her father. She was just obsessed with underwear though, trying to help the girls in her class who had trouble talking to someone about their bodies growing up and needing teen clothes. Three episodes later this misunderstanding was over and so were all the basics of a good underwear. After that I DIDN’T CARE. There wasn’t even an interesting romance going on and everybody was the same 2D stereotype all the way. And seriously, seeing people having nosebleeds over panty shots STOPPED BEING FUNNY A DECADE AGO.

I admit it gave lots of focus on how uncomfortable a girl feels with such a subject and how it is an important part of her life to wear the proper underwear in order to feel more liberal in her actions. The thing is I AM GUY who watches an anime that is supposed to ENTERTAIN ME and not show me how bad girls feel about the subject. As if having a period every month is not nearly as important or as if I should know so I will care more about them. Well I don’t.

Some actually debate on if this show is even erotic in the first place or if it should be seen purely as an interesting take on a girl’s private life. Seriously guys, I will never show this thing to little girls in order to teach them how to wear proper pantsu. The target audience is clearly male-oriented; most girls would be offended with all that. Which is also what makes its educational part laughable; guys don’t care if the girls wear proper bra size or have comfortable panties. They just want to do the jiggy-wiggy with them, getting turned on by them before taking them off. And sure as hell I won’t ever try to give advises to a girl on this subject. I mean, what will I say? “Trust me girl; I watched this ecchi comedy and I know your bra feels wrong; here let me touch it and show you how to do it right; I will teach you all about it.”

Add to that the average production values. Simplistic character designs and lots of chibi deformity, the animation is poor, the coloring is typical, voice acting and soundtrack have nothing great to listen to. So what is there to look forward to? Nothing really.

I really wonder what the producers were thinking when making this. I bet they had money to waste and nobody cared of how boring it would obviously become right away and just went on with it. Well sorry you guys but most people watching such anime are not so easily pleased. You thought flashing as much dirty underwear as possible was all it took to keep us horny for more? We can find more of that in Agent Aika or Queen’s Blade. They may not be so educational but sure are more entertaining than this. Hell, if I so much need to mention education, we can get far more variable and useful info in those charts used all the time in the Futari Ecchi manga.

Anyways, this is aiming at the wrong audience. Not even cross dressers will find something interesting in it. Not recommended.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 5/10
General Artwork 1/2 (generic)
Character Figures 1/2 (generic)
Backgrounds 1/2 (basic)
Animation 1/2 (basic)
Visual Effects 1/2 (basic)

SOUND SECTION: 6/10
Voice Acting 2/3 (corny but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Music Themes 2/4 (average)
Sound Effects 2/3 (ok I guess)

STORY SECTION: 4/10
Premise 1/2 (typical)
Pacing 1/2 (erratic)
Complexity 1/2 (not much)
Plausibility 0/2 (none)
Conclusion 1/2 (cheesy)

CHARACTER SECTION: 5/10
Presence 1/2 (generic)
Personality 1/2 (generic)
Backdrop 1/2 (generic and simplistic but it’s there)
Development 1/2 (overblown but it’s there)
Catharsis 1/2 (overblown but it’s there)

VALUE SECTION: 1/10
Historical Value 0/3 (none)
Rewatchability 0/3 (no reason to rewatch)
Memorability 1/4 (no reason to remember)

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 3/10
I had some fun with the misunderstandings but that is all.

VERDICT: 4/10

Varagauzer says...

This show seems so perveted but dont say anything bad about the 80's anime cause there were some great anime that came out in that era well thanks for the review i know to tell some of my pervet friends to watch this lolzz

Apr 28, 2012