Mirai Nikki is a supernatural mystery / horror / survival regarding an antisocial boy named Yukiteru (Yuki henceforth) receiving from his imaginary friend a magic cell phone that has a diary with all his future actions. Thus in effect he knows the future and can be prepared for anything. At first he adores how he knows all the answers in the tests at school, or how he can avoid meeting the school bullies since he knows where they will be waiting for him. Things get soon out of hand, when he realizes there are more people with similar diaries, and that his imaginary friend is not so imaginary after all. Deus Ex Machina (lol the imaginary friend is like an internet God) prepared an “interesting game” as he calls it and gathered a dozen cell phone owners to participate in a death game where there can be only one remaining alive in the end.
1) The premise is very interesting; you have a dozen people who must kill each other for a grand prize. It does not mean the outcome is foretold because they all know the future. Every time they change something, which was normally meant to happen, all their diaries are altering their entries to show the new outcome of each action after the change. Thus nobody actually knows who will survive or not; at best they are just prepared to change the future in case someone is ambushed by another player. Also, the diaries are NOT really predicting the future but rather mention the future impressions of their owners. So if the holder of a diary makes a wrong assumption about an event, then his entry will also be mistaken. This practically makes the story to feel a lot more tactical than it appears to be. Another gimmick is that initially nobody seems to know all the identities of the other participants, thus they can’t just gather in a warehouse and finish the whole thing in an hour. It will require some sort of strategy and mind games to outsmart each other.
2) Catchy main songs.
3) Yuno is a horny yandere. 99% of the people who liked the manga, it is only because of her. To hell with whatever the story is about; it has a pink-haired horny yandere in it that keeps doing ecchi stuff with the pussy protagonist! So let’s not kid ourselves; she is both the mascot and highlight of the whole series. Heck, the very introduction video shows mostly her and barely the protagonist or anyone else; they might as well call this show Yuno Diary. No one else in this show is close to being that interesting; they are all a basic stereotype and don’t improve later on.
Early on, I found several annoying features which ruin the interesting premise from episode 1. And no, I don’t need a magic cell phone to prophesize the future, nor to read the manga. It is all plain facts.
1) Nothing great in terms of animation / artwork. It is in all an average production and even has lots of scene follow-up errors.
2) The songs are terrible if you don’t like j-pop; especially when it has high pitched female singers and stupid lyrics. And surely, outside the dynamic tunes the lyrics are EWWW! “Twelve Gods, One Two, Three, in Latin, English, and German to make it sound cool.”
3) The directing is very sloppy; expected from Hosoda Naoto, a guy who only directs softporns and aimless goofball shows. Same for Studio Asread, which never made a proper show in its whole career; its roster is nothing but shitty ecchi shows and work assistance for equally shitty GONZO sci-fi shows. Oh, the irony in that name. “As read”? How about “Ass read”? Here are a few examples of what they did wrong.
The transition from one scene to another happens fast and dry, which makes it feel amateurish and ruins the mood.
- If someone dies and half a second later we see the hero doing something irrelevant half a city away, it kills all the gravity of the death.
- If someone is shocked for half a second before he calms, then there is again no gravity given in his emotional state.
- If some unimportant character is standing next to a major character on one scene, and in the immediate next scene he disappears into thin air, you are not made to think there is something going on beyond the noses of the protagonists. The rest of the world is like it doesn’t exist. The whole show is so myopic it would make Alfred Hitchcock to go kamikaze on their asses.
The director did many typical newb mistakes and ruined everything.
- He rushed to shoehorn as much plot as possible in each episode and the result is rushed development and oozing apathy. I hear how many people complained about the Kaiji anime having a slow pace and too stretched emotional outbursts. To all you naggers, I suggest you watch this anime and realize the error of your ways. Kaiji’s directing is awesome. This is not.
- He used the Idiot’s Plot trope in its finest form and the viewer is supposed to think like a dumbass in order to enjoy the slightest detail.
4) The storyboard is retarded; I spotted a million inconsistencies, plot holes, and examples of bad scene transition but because of space restrictions I couldn't post them here but you can read them if you follow this link and open the spoiler tag at the bottom.
5) The characters are pitiful. I know many who consider them great and developed but they are all Narutards so that explains it. Seriously, they are (beside one) pitiful and badly handled.
6) This is a death tournament anime and if you follow the latest shows then Fate/Zero kicks Mirai Nikki’s ass with one hand. Jeez you guys, don’t offer identical premises in the same season if you want it to sell. And to heck with that; this is not even presented as a situation where each one has to watch out for all rest. All the players target Yuki and he has to beat them all himself. They are even polite enough to wait in a line for their turn to come up. In the meantime, it’s like they don’t exist. That’s not much of a tournament if the participants are not separated into duals or they aren’t doing anything while someone else is trying to kill Yuki. Furthermore, it is not EVEN Yuki vs the World, since two of the other players joined his team and help him survive again and again instead of trying to win for themselves. Seriously, without them the hero would be killed a dozen times every day. So he only wins because he gangs up on his enemies, who are always working solo. What kind of a lame tournament is this? Does anyone even remember Battle Royal and how awesome that was?
The show is clearly not smart or mature as it might wants you to think it is. It is basically another Eden of the East premise with Deadman Wonderland characters. And just for the record, both those shows were far more retarded than they wanted you to think they were. Mirai Nikki is a coo-coo show for people who like the Rule of Cool or can identify and sympathize with completely retarded and lame characters. Not recommended if you want to watch something smart and well-directed.
And yes, there are thousands of people who are crazy over this show and claim it is the most intelligent thing after Albert Einstein. To them all I say “You are all retards” because the show easily enters the top ten of most stupid anime of all times. Seriously, do not believe all the good things they say about it because they are the usual BS people with no brain spread around and mislead newcomers to consider manure as bon fillet. It is a terrible show and by no means a good one. Other than laughing at its over-the-top retard level, that is.
And now for some excused scorings.
ART SECTION: 4/10
General Artwork 0/2 (generic and with lots of scene follow-up mistakes)
Character Figures 1/2 (generic and stupid looking)
Backgrounds 1/2 (basic)
Animation 1/2 (basic)
Visual Effects 1/2 (basic)
SOUND SECTION: 5/10
Voice Acting 1/3 (corny and retarded)
Music Themes 2/4 (dynamic j-pop with retarded lyrics that makes them ear cancer to a more demanding audience)
Sound Effects 2/3 (ok I guess)
STORY SECTION: 5/10
Premise 2/2 (interesting)
Pacing 1/2 (too slow or too fast or full of dead time towards the end)
Complexity 1/2 (seems complicating at first but it is not much in the end)
Plausibility 0/2 (none)
Conclusion 1/2 (cheesy and somewhat open)
CHARACTER SECTION: 4/10
Presence 1/2 (dumb and sexy)
Personality 2/2 (cheesy but well founded)
Backdrop 1/2 (generic and simplistic but it’s there)
Development 0/2 (it’s there but it makes no sense at all)
Catharsis 0/2 (it’s there but since the show goes for a reset in the end it’s like nothing really changed)
VALUE SECTION: 2/10
Historical Value 0/3 (although famous to many retards, the show will not leave any mark in anime history and will only be remembered as an example of how NOT to write a good story)
Rewatchability 0/3 (too much nonsense to deserve a rewatch; unless of course you want to go on a hunt for mistakes in the plot)
Memorability 2/4 (the premise is interesting to remember and Yuno is a memorable slut but everything else is meh)
ENJOYMENT SECTION: 1/10
Too bent on shallow entertainment and it’s otherwise filled with continuity errors and bad directing.