roriconfan's avatar

roriconfan

• Thessaloniki, Greece
  • Joined Dec 22, 2011

AHAHA WHAT’S WITH THOSE SKETCHES?!

… Ahem, one thing at a time. This anime is another one of those death game shows where a bunch of people need to kill each other for some stupid reason. In this case, it is because the orchestrator of the game loves murder. Yeah, it is shallow and stupid but HEY at least there is a motivation for the villain. Remember the one in Sword Art Online, who was making you think there was a major reason and turned out he had none? So at least this one is honest about what it’s all about. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN I AM A NUTJOB WHO LOVES TO FORCE PEOPLE INTO KILLING EACH OTHER!

It would be more than enough if they left it as simple as that but that is the thing with this show. It tries to be over-the-top in everything. And this is why the orchestrator is the president of a prestige school.
… and is also a talking bear.
… make that a mutated talking bear with magic powers.
… ok, actually it is a remote controlled robot that uses high tech but come on, it is so impossible to believe it can do all that, you might as well call it magic
Now you may start wondering why is a bear managing a prestige school, or what drove it to become so sadistic. You can stop thinking about such trivial issues after you take a look at how the participants of the death game look like.

AHAHA! WHAT ARE THESE CLOWNS?

Seriously, they all look ten times more eccentric and ridiculous than even those in Yu Gi Oh. In our world they wouldn’t be able to take a single step outside their houses without being pointed at and laughed about but over here that is supposed to be normal. Not even the blood looks right; it’s colored pink! Because red would make sense; get it? They say it is a form of censorship and stuff but come on; it looks like everybody is bleeding strawberry juice.

But anyways, if you suspend your disbelief you can excuse it as a way to make the characters more memorable. If they were normal-looking, you wouldn’t have a reason to remember them. And that expands to their personality as well, which is nothing more than a ridiculous pinch in the voice (two of which are even traps) and a couple of quirks based on what they are good at. Technically they are not even characters but representations of archetypes. So yeah, easy to remember but nothing much besides that.

Now, said participants are all teenagers (since we can’t have adults in teen shows) that just transferred (we must always have transfer students) to a new prestige school (there is absolutely nothing else teenagers can go to besides schools). Each one of them is a genius in a specific subject, with the only exception being the protagonist who is … well, good at being average at everything. Yeah, he is one of those vanilla characters the audience is supposed to pour itself into. He seems to be the most balanced of the bunch but for the same reason he is duller than a rusty hammer. While everyone else easily stands out for that something he is good for, the protagonist is a blank sheet that cares only about the retarded ideal of friendship is magic.

So, anyways, they get trapped inside the school and the sadistic magical mutated talking bear tells them to kill each other if they want to graduate. Of course the graduation part is just a troll; the real reason is simply because the bear gets orgasms by looking at people getting killed in brutal ways. And no, they can’t escape the school since all the doors are locked, everything seems to be made of steel, and the bear cannot be captured since it has magic powers (or super technology if that sounds less ridiculous to you) that make it teleport anywhere it likes and can summon deadly weapons out of nowhere (you know what, screw calling it technology; it’s magic). They can’t even rely on the outside world for aid. Nobody out there gives a damn. Literally.

The laughs don’t stop here, since despite all the ludicrous premise so far, the show is also supposed to be a detective story. You know, solving murder mysteries by gathering clues and questioning suspects. That’s serious stuff but when you have a show about clowns and magic bears, you can just imagine how well that will be done. There is no reason to believe the clues they find in the murder scenes are offering the slightest hints of intelligence, since most of them are laughably bad. There is absolutely no way to connect the pieces and figure out who did it since they make no sense and many suspects deliberately refuse to tell you vital information that can save the innocent. Or ever worse, some deliberately change the evidence to help the murderer get away just because it is a fun thing to do, even if this way everybody but the killer dies. And the funniest thing is how after all the clues and the deduction procedures, it never comes down to evidence pointing out the killer but some ridiculous revelation, such as the victim having written the name of the murdered before it died, or the murderer making a slip of the tongue which incriminates him.

Another thing is that not even the tension of who dies next is good, since it is very easy to figure out the next victim. Since the show has very few episodes, it just goes for the laziest of methods, where you try to offer some exposition to a character only a few minutes before you kill him. This is a problem that springs from the fact the series is based on a silly attorney videogame, where you interact with people for a long time before you reach a verdict. The show only focuses on the major events, thus everything feels rushed and just the bones of what the original game was supposed to offer with its ludicrous premise.

Not even the ending attempts to wrap everything properly, since it simply goes for some random last moment plot twist that leaves you scratching your head, since it pretty much neglects a lot of side stories and leaves everything open for a sequel that can’t possibly link with said side stories. You are just left to think it was all pointless and petty.

So in all, it is just another braindead show to waste your time instead of doing something more productive.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 6/10
General Artwork 1/2 (crude)
Character Figures 0/2 (ridiculous)
Backgrounds 2/2 (fitting with the feeling of the series)
Animation 1/2 (basic)
Visual Effects 2/2 (semi-artsy)

SOUND SECTION: 7/10
Voice Acting 2/3 (retarded but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Music Themes 3/4 (not great but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Sound Effects 2/3 (ok I guess)

STORY SECTION: 3/10
Premise 2/2 (interesting)
Pacing 1/2 (erratic)
Complexity 0/2 (it seems complicating but in reality it is as random as it gets)
Plausibility 0/2 (none)
Conclusion 0/2 (messy)

CHARACTER SECTION: 3/10
Presence 1/2 (generic)
Personality 1/2 (basic but well founded)
Backdrop 1/2 (generic and simplistic but it’s there)
Development 0/2 (messy to the point it doesn’t matter)
Catharsis 0/2 (messy to the point it doesn’t matter)

VALUE SECTION: 3/10
Historical Value 0/3 (none)
Rewatchability 1/3 (low because of too much randomness)
Memorability 2/4 (weird enough to remember it for awhile but nothing that will stick with you)

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 3/10
Art 1/1 (looks crazy)
Sound 1/2 (music is ok, dialogues are not)
Story 0/3 (over the top and makes no sense)
Characters 1/4 (they look crazy but are shallow and forgettable)

VERDICT: 4/10

Elementist says...

A 2013 anime that has characters that look like they came from Doofus Convention must be dreadful. How can characters in a 2013 anime still have anti-gravity hair?

May 21, 2014
RainingXXanime says...

Yeah, From what I've seen of Dangan ronpa, Its actually boring the hell outta me.

Sep 19, 2013
eifiee says...

Crap I wrote that on notepad first so when I pasted it onto here it got all messed up!I'm sorry if it is hard to read especially since the questions got mushed together.  If you don't see where one answer starts & ends please let me know!:)

Aug 14, 2013
eifiee says...

First I'm going to say that the anime adaptation of the incredible video game called Dangan Ronpa is absolutely terrible. There is only 6 episodes out but yes I can already say this is horrible & I feared this would happen- people who have not played the game & only watch the anime would think Dangan Ronpa as a whole is bad & stupid.Second I will say I wish you would have watched the whole thing before writing a review.Because you have many things wrong, my friend!Monokuma is not the "president" of the school. Nor is he a real bear, he is a robot, of course being controlled by someone, whom is the true mastermind. Also, there are no magical powers, I'm confused, why do you think Monokuma is magical? O_oI won't say anything about how you feel about the appearance of the characters because that's all your opinion which is all fine & dandy, but I will say that I don't think that the appearance of said characters should matter! ^-^The things about the outside world not coming to their rescue is merely your speculation. I will say no more so I don't spoil too much.Also those were not numbers that Sayaka Maizono wrote as her dying message. She was writing his name upside down (only because of how she was sitting) but didn't connect the N together because well you know she's dying & all. But I can't blame you for not thinking that because they didn't tell you because the anime adaptation is absolutely horrible as I've said!What was the vital item that was missing? I can't remember. Are you even allowed to reply to my comment on here, I don't know? >.<Blood is pink as a form of censorship in the video game & I think they just kept it that way for the anime since Dangan Ronpa fans are used to that, I'm not completely sure though.

Now I will answer questions!If two people team up to kill someone, it would be extremely stupid since only the person who delivers the final blow will be eligable for graduation. So accomplices are useless.If someone kills themselves there will still be a trial, so long as it is not completely obvious that they have killed themselves. (did that make sense? I'm sorry)Then the killer would be very smart! That's not cheating or anything if that's what you're asking. The killers goal is to not be chosen as the culprit, so as long as they don't get caught, they're good. Framing someone else could be a good idea if they do it well!Monokuma will not kill anyone unless someone is disobeying school rules.

I agree it is sooo very rushed, which is such a waste, because I assure you the video game is fantastic! The best part about Dangan Ronpa is the characters & their personalities, & because the anime is so rushed, you don't get to see any of it. & The trials are horrible in the anime, they don't explain anything to you & just pull things out of their butt, whereas in the video game, literally everything connects & makes sense.Trust me, this could have been such an amazing anime, but they really screwed it up, & now everyone watching who has not playing DR is going to think such bad things about it & that makes me so sad because I love Dangan Ronpa so much!If you ever have the time, please play the video game or read a translated LP with an open mind.Maybe survival games / murder mysteries just aren't your thing, in this case why are you watching lol but if not, you won't be dissapointed :)Thank you for the review & I hope I didn't come off rudely or anything, I apologize if I did! Have a great day xx

Aug 14, 2013