renadesu3's avatar

• Joined Apr 25, 2013
  • 17 / ?

Sonic X

May 2, 2013

This anime is pretty much a disgrace to the sonic franchise. I am a big sonic fan myself, and I  love the characters, games and music, but this anime is probably the one exception, save any sonic game between 2004 and 2007. The plot, for starters, is very poorly adapted to place sonic in a human world. Sonic has been "transported" to the human world with chaos conrol. This immediately presents two problems. Firstly, in sonic adventure and adventure 2,which a large section of this anime's plot is based on, sonic is already in the human world. Another thing is that the merging of worlds because of chaos control provides many inconsistencies later in the story. Why does chaos control not happen on this scale every time the chaos emeralds come together? It would have been far simpler to stage the anime in the human world in the first place, therefore eliminating the need for pointless plot inconsistencies and holes. Another thing changed from the original game series is the voice actors, in the english dub that is, the same guy has voiced sonic in japanese for over 13 years. The anime introduced new voice actors for all the characters, which, in comparison to the voice actors used in the adventure games seem overly cheesy and out of character. This is also not helped by the "family friendly" script the writers for the dubbed version used. The animation quality is average, nothing else to say about it really considering it's from 2003. As for the soundtrack, whilst the opening theme is very catchy (Gotta go fast!) the rest of the soundtrack leaves alot to be desired. In my opinion it would have been far better to use some music from the sonic games that the plot is based on. The only example of sonic game music used throughout the entire anime was "live & learn", which was used for one minute in episode 38, at the point where the song is played in the equivalent scene in sonic adventure 2. On top of this, the song was only used in the japanese version of the anime, and was removed from the english dub for some reason. There are plenty of moments where sonic music could have slided perfectly of moments which are taken from the adventure series, which is definately a missed opportunity. If the plot had been better adapted, the characters portrayed in a manner truer to themselves and if the soundtrack was decent, we may have been looking at something worth watching. To me, Sonic X is just a bundle of missed opportunity and basic failure, that's pretty much all there is to it.

HaslamMcladswag says...

ERMERGERD, KERNT BERLERV U HERTERN ERN MERR FERVERERT ERNERMER ERVER: SERNERC ERX!

ERT HERD SERNERC ERN, YERR MERST BER ERR SERNERC NERB!

YERR DERSGERST MERR, WERRERRBOOERR