ratchet573's avatar

ratchet573

• Here, There, Everywhere
  • Joined May 9, 2011

This is the end of Eden of the East, and am I happy about it? Truthfully, I am. While the series was a fairly entertaining ride (thus warranting the 7 I gave it) the first movie was pretty pointless (thus, the 6). Paradise Lost is the conclusion of the series, yet...doesn't really feel concluding at all. It just felt like more nothing.

It's strange really. This series is supposed to be focused on far reaching consequences and the results that these twelve people have on the well-being of Japan, yet you don't see much of anything really change. There's the missiles, which changed some things, but after that it feels like all of the things these characters do have no really worthwhile consequence. At the end of Paradise Lost you feel like you've watched nothing because of how incomplete it feels. And that's not because the ending is lame (which it is, it is not exciting and doesn't really make a ton of sense), but because this movie cuts off, just like the series and the last movie, without a clear ending. It's like this is meant to be continued, but somebody realized that was not a good idea and canned the project. Like maybe there was supposed to be a third movie but the first two were so repulsive that nobody wanted a third.

The hour and a half this movie takes up does have more plot progression than the previous film, but, as I said, nothing feels substantial and everything seems inconsequential. Things are happening, but none of it makes a ton of sense. There are bad guys, but none of them are any good (just as I've said with the past two reviews). Nothing is changed here. It's just a bunch of nothing. And I'm sorry to hurt anyone's feelings, but this series just isn't that smart and isn't that good because of the fact it does nothing. Takizawa and Saki are back in Japan to end the game. They learn a bit about Takizawa's past (Takizawa has magically regained a lot of his memories too). And then there's a long stretch of nothing. There's all this set up to a nice final confrontation, but there's nothing. Takizawa ends it rather boringly and that's that. A series and two movies to lead up to a conclusion about as thrilling as watching paint dry. And even then, it's not a conclusion.

So what is good about this? The animation and sound. There you go. Otherwise the story is dull, uninteresting, unexciting, and pointless. The characters are all pretty much the same. Nothing about the plot stands out. Nothing about it is particularly good. Nothing about it is exciting. It's all arbitrary feeling. As if whoever wrote this was forced into writing it and didn't really care. It has no heart behind it, it has nothing behind it.

Taken as a whole, the series starts off good but degrades over time. And that's sad, because as I've said before, I love the premise. But if this is all you get for an ending, if this is all the series leads to, then I feel like I've wasted my time.

Paradise Lost is an apt name. At first this series seemed like something I could really love, a paradise. Turns out, it loses any hope of that halfway through the main series and just goes downhill from there.

Eden of the East: Paradise Lost is a 5/10.

The whole series, movies and all, is a 6.5/10.

SHNumber7 says...

I agree, I really liked the series, but it seems like either the writter just planed for the first series and wanted to leave it as that but then being forced into finishing it off by making the 2 films. Or It got cancelled after the first season but were allowed to make 2 films to finish it, and they just couldn't put enough story in that time frame so it kind of felt rushed and unfinshed.Was looking forward to watching this film thinking it would clear the first one up and make that waste of time worth it. But it just did nothing, there is no big ending and Takizawa just fails really.

Aug 13, 2012