randomredneck's avatar

• Joined Feb 14, 2011
  • ? / M

Candy Boy

Mar 8, 2011

Hello fellow anime fans. Its review numero tres from RandomRedneck. Got an issue with my opinion? Then shove it and go read a review from someone else. Today, i offer my thoughts on a show that surprised me. Surprised me meaning, it was actually good. I speak of Candy Boy. A show i sought out for the hope of some twincest yuri,(Don't judge me) and watched through because it was just that good. The story is about fraternal twin sisters Kanade and Yukino, who are living in an apartment together and attending high school. Kanade has a crush on Yukino, and Yukino seems aware of the fact, frequently teasing her over it. This is what the haters try to use against it. But trust me, they play the crush thing very well. The majority of the story is actually about them trying not to drift apart. Jobs and classes threaten this, and the girls(Mostly Kanade) have some bad issues with separation. The animation is pretty good, particularly the scenes they share in the snow. Sound really isn't anything that will blow you away. Nothing real innovative about the score. Hell, the show doesn't even have an opening theme. Character wise, this show is a firm supporter of less is more. We have Kanade and Yukino, Sakuya Kamiyama, a VERY annoying underclassmen who also harbors a crush on Kanade, and a brief couple of appearances by the youngest sister Shizuku, there aren't really any other characters of importance. No male lead, hell, males in this show don't even have any impact on the plot. At all. This is actually a good thing, as the story can focus more on the sisters, without too many distractions, aside from Shizuku for an episode or two. Another surprise, was the lack of fanservice. The swimming pool episode is pretty tame, and though Sakuya hopes for a hot spring scene, it never happens. So, to wrap it up, this show may surprise you. Expecting a fanserive laden, lesbian sister love fest? Then look somewhere else. Looking for a surprisingly sweet show about the bond between two sisters? Then check out Candy Boy. You won't be sorry.

Yours truly,