okami31's avatar

• Orlando, FL
  • Joined Aug 29, 2012

Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Aug 30, 2012

As a big fan of “Gundam Wing” and “Gundam Seed”, I was eager to watch the newest epic Gundam series and it did not disappoint.

Consider this review for both seasons.

WHAT’S GOOD?

All the good stuff of the Gundam series is present.here.  Cool main characters, exciting one-on-one mecha battles, interesting military maneuvers and large-scale battles.  There’s some melodrama but not to the point of “Gundam Seed”.

This is just an epic mecha series with characters who are not really kids, so that stands out from many other mecha series.  It feels grown-up.

I also like the ideology of the heroes’ organization.  They come to Earth to end all wars, no sides taken.  I had mused about such a concept at one point and I was pleased to see how well this series handles it.  Of course, there’s a myriad of complications and they even deal with the Middle East situation.

WHAT’S BAD?

Towards the end of the series there are several “deus-ex machina” moments.  Suddenly, the Gundams acquire abilities or power-ups that they hadn’t mentioned at any point before that.  It feels a little bit like “Dragonball Z” or “Naruto”. However, by that time you are so deep into the plot and the characters that it can be forgiven in lieu of the epic-ness it delivers.

There’s also a gallery of secondary characters to keep track of and I think I wasn’t able to remember who was whom, but that’s just a minor complaint.

There’s one big event that didn’t resonate with me as much as it did to the characters.  It is one of the biggest events that take place in the series and it was regarded as a huge tragedy, but both “Gundam Wing” and “Gundam Seed” had more memorable disasters.

Also, the guys in this series are not as fleshed out as the aforementioned Gundam series.  I mean, they are cool and all but I  think the “Gundam Wing” group was far more charismatic and a better collection of different personalities.

RECOMMEND?

Yes.  If you are a Gundam fan then double yes.

If you have never watched one of the more serious Gundam series and want to check why they are so popular, this is a great one to begin with because it has the newest and best animation between “Gundam Wing” and “Gundam Seed”.  If you like it, then feel free to check the previous two to replicate the epic experience you just underwent but with a different cast and different military situations.