nasreen10

Eden of the East

8 AUG
2011

Story: I had little idea about the this series was about before I started so I was basically like a blank state. Immediately from episode 1, I was hooked. The concept was intriguing and exciting. It leaves you guessing and does eventually explain things to you but gives you hints to figure it for yourself. The pacing was steady without being too fast or slow. If you like something that makes you think and has some action, I would definitely recommend this. I loved the political and social aspects. That wasn't something I was expecting and it was done incredibly well. Another thing was the comedy. It starts off being hilarious and it doesn't stop. At first glance, I didn't expect much humour out of this series. I definitely didn't expect me to laugh as hard as I did. However, I didn't like the way the series ended. I liked the resolution to the conflict but you end up with a large amount of questions unanswered. You have to do a lot of guesswork with little to go and that was disappointing. The series ended with me think: "What?! That's it!". I know that there are movies out and I hope that they fill in the blanks.

Animation: I love Chicka Umino so you can already tell that I loved the character designs. All in the all, the animation was stellar. There's great attention to detail and great range of expressions for the characters. Also, the animation adds greatly to the humour for the series. The opening was a little lackluster but the ending made up for it. I don't have any complaints.

Sound: I don't know what version I was watching but the opening wasn't by Oasis which is strange. However, the ending song was nice and I really liked it. The soundtrack was a whole was very fitting and I did notice it. However, I don't really remember it after watching so it really doesn't stick with you. I did like the use of the English songs though. One thing that does stick with is the English voices for the Americans. It isn't Engrish with was refreshing. The rest of the seiyuus did a good job as well.

Characters: It's a really fun and amusing cast. However, Akira is definitely the one that sticks out the most. You see a great deal of change and development in him and he is incredibly likable. The girl is alright but more forgettable along with a good number of the cast. The best part of the series comes more from the plot and how the characters deal with the game as opposed to the characters themselves and their relationships.

Overall: Great concept, humour, pacing and high quality animation that has style and intelligence. However, unconclusive ending although I would still recommend this to most people I know.

Other Anime Reviews by nasreen10