nasreen10's avatar

nasreen10

• by a piano
  • Joined Jun 3, 2009
  • ? / F

Story: I'm not usually a fan of mecha or political series. I'm especially not a fan of series involving stragies because I usually don't understand what's going on. For example, in Death Note, I need all of that explanation or I really would have no clue what was going on. However, Code Geass was a complete surprise. I incredibly enjoyed it. At first, I thought it was ok. However, as I continued the series, I became enthralled. I wanted to keep going. The pacing was excellent. It kept you going without feeling like you're being bombarded. There is not a single filler episode with all of the series. It is invigorating, exciting and surprisingly humourous as well. I wasn't expecting it to be so funny. Also, there are so many twists and angles that you just don't see coming. This series is truly unpredictable. There is quite a bit of violence and some nuditiy but nothing excessive. There are some questions that are unanswered along with a cliffhanger ending but there is a season 2.

Animation: I do love Clamp which is probably the reason why I adore the character designs. Clamp does have a distinct art style which helps the characters look memormable. They do have incredibly lean limbs but I liked it. The movements are fluid and smooth including the movements of robots. The opening and ending were unique and interesting. The emotions were done greatly.  I have little negative to say about the animation. One thing I would have liked was if the Japanese and Britannians had more distinguishable features. It seems confusing to

Sound: I really loved the seiyuus. They did a great job with balancing the seriousness, crazyness and humour. I really enjoyed the opening and ending choices. Some were better than others but they all fit which was important. The soundtrack itself had some great pieces but some were subpar and at worst illfitting. However, there wasn't too much bad which is good.

Characters: There is a tremendous amount of character development. You really watch characters change throughout the series. I don't want to give too much away but it's a very interesting cast. It's hard to say whose good and whose bad which is a good thing. The characters are interesting and, although they can be frustrating, I don't hate too many of the cast. There are some whom I dislike strongly but, most of the time, it is easily to see where they're coming from. They are definitely an intriguing bunch.

Overall: I hear a lot of hype about Code Geass and it truly lived up to it's expectations. Even if you don't like mecha or political thinking series, I still recommend giving this a try. I would recommend this to many and I hope the second season lives up to the first.

8.5/10 characters