nasreen10's avatar

• Joined Jun 3, 2009
  • ? / F

Kodocha

Mar 15, 2011

Story: I first thought that Kodocha was going to be some cutesty kid romance story. However, I was seriously mistaken. There is romance and they are children but it’s far from childish. There are some pretty heavy themes. However, this darkness is always balanced with humor that had me laughing out loud. I liked the romance, comedy and drama. It wasn’t over the top and it had some unexpected plot twists. It wasn’t predictable which is refreshing. I enjoyed the pacing and, although it left me guessing at times, I was never confused. It becomes very addicting until the very last chapter. I enjoyed the ending. It was open ended but still complete. It answered the questions that needed to be answered. Overall, I loved the story. However, there is something mature content (subject wise) for what seems like a kid’s manga. It’s not too bad but there’s a reason that it’s rated T.

Art: The humor was done excellently. The little details really added to the scene and I loved that. However, you can definitely tell that it’s an older series. The emotional scenes are not done very well which is disappointing but doesn’t take away too much from the series. The character designs are cute.

Characters: I really love the characters. They have so much life and personalities. There are so far from your humdrum characters that are shallow and lackluster. The characters have deep relationships with each other and you don’t doubt why they love each other. I find it hard in shoujo sometimes to find why they like each other so much. However, in Kodocha, you don’t have to wonder. They have the development they need to have a solid basis for a relationship. It’s straightforward and clear why Akito and Sana have feelings for each other. Also, instead of having only one solid relationship, Kodocha juggles several that are done just as well.

Overall: I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys drama, romance or comedy which supplies a lot in all three categories. It’s not too long but not too short of series either and has an amazing cast. It also has definite re-read possibilities.