nasreen10

Lovely Complex

20 NOV
2010

Plot: Tall girl with short guy. Sounds crazy right but it's so endearing in many ways. Back in my shallower days, I didn't really want to watch Lovely Complex because I wasn't too enthusitatic about the whole tall girlxshort guy. However, I watched it and I loved it. It has an amazing mesh between romance and comedy which it supplies plently of both. Also, the realistic quality to Lovely Complex really adds so much to this series that really sets it apart. The people are so relatable with their situations. They gradually fall in love instead of just shallow relationships. You're constantly reminded why they love each other and they don't just ignore the height issue. They acknowledge it but they find the reasons they love each other to overcome a lot of the issues they face. I love the pacing and the way they put a different spin on the typical high school occurences (like Valentine's Day, School Trip, Cultural Festival, etc.) You will laugh and cry your heart out because it's just that amazing.

Animation: They are adorable. The character designs are just so cute and so are their clothes. Sometimes they can get a little strange, but I love their fashion for the most part. Also, Lovely Complex isn't afraid to make their characters look humourous without the chibi factor which I love especially Risa's dead fish face. The backgrounds are ok but medicore at times. There are way too many sparkles but emotional and funny scenes are done pretty well and convey it.

Sound: I love the openings and endings. The songs fit so perfectly and are freaking adorable. The soundtrack was a little lackluster expect for a few tracks which I found memorable like Risa's Tears. Expect for Seicho, I loved the seiyuus. They did an amazing job with even the littlest quirk. Also, I adored the Osaka dialect. They really add something.

Characters: I love them. All of them. They're dense and stupid but they're kind and have so much heart. They are just one of the most memorable shoujo casts with amazing and strong relationships. They're developed so well that they really come to life. I can go on and on but when you watch it, you'll understand what I'm talking about. You go up and down with their relationships and you really care about what happens to them. You cry with them, You laugh with them. You facepalm with them. Their personalities are so unique and endearing that you'd like to know them in real life. Also, Risa and Otani are one of my favorite couples of all time and they'll be yours too.

Overall: One of my favorite romantic comedies of all time and that is no small statement because I watch a lot of shoujo. It has all the factors like drama, love and humor blended perfectly. I would seriously recommend this to anyone who likes romance or comedy. It will not disappoint and I would watch it over and over again (and I would love it every time).

Other Anime Reviews by nasreen10