nasreen10's avatar

• Joined Jun 3, 2009
  • ? / F

Durarara!!

Sep 12, 2010

Plot: Durarara!! is one the more unique animes that I have seen. I haven’t seen an anime with the same feel as Durarara!!. At first it seem like there were a lot characters and a lot of things going on. However, as the episodes continued, I was able to see how these minor events connected together and how the city of Ikebukuro can be both big and small at the same time. I loved the first arc. There were some flaws with the slasher arc (or I just didn’t understand it). I also really enjoyed the ending. For the most part, things were well paced and I never got bored. Also, surprisingly, Durarara!! is incredibly funny. It’s similar to the humor in Kuroshitsuji. It has dark elements but it can make you laugh really loudly. It has action, drama, comedy, romance, insane plot twists and humor and does well in all elements. It tops my anime list and, although it had a good conclusion, I hope for a second season.

Animation: I love the animation for Durarara!! The backgrounds are detailed as well as the characters. The people in the background even have expressions although they are gray. However, all the characters are distinct with different facial structures, builds, and hair. They are also memorable and good looking without being too bishounen. The movements are fluid especially when Shizuo sends people flying. Expressions are done amazingly well. The colors are vivid but they fit the image they’re trying to portray. Also, you can’t forget about the opening and endings. They were fitting and I loved them. I have little bad to say about the animation.

Sound: A few pieces from the soundtrack were forgettable but that’s all the negative. The rest of the soundtrack was nicely played with a jazz and classical feel to. The piano pieces fitted Celty while the jazz pieces fitted the urban setting. The traces were played at the right time and heightened the mood. Also the opening and ending tracks were cool rock and hip-pop songs that I plan on going out and getting. The overall sound had a very cool feel to it. Also, the seiyuus did a stellar job, every single one of them.

Characters: The characters are crazy. Just insane. You have: a guy who loves to mess with people, a guy who has anger issues and can throw a vending machine, a guy in love with a head, and a headless girl (just to name a few). Even though they were all so weird and kooky, I loved them and the relationships that they had with other people. They were all connected and the relationships were done well. Even though they have some serious issues, they are all deep and likable. No 2-D characters here. One of the most interesting and memorable casts I have seen in a while. I just love them.

Overall:  A cool and modern anime with a lot of hype for a good reason. I thoroughly every part of this: the plot, sound, animation and especially characters. I would definitely watch this multiple times and enjoy it every single time.

yasmin09 says...

We have the same overall rating ^^ Also, I happen to agree with everything that you say. You couldn't be more spot on.

Sep 12, 2010