nasreen10

Dragon Ball

1 FEB
2010

Story: For starters, in my book, Dragon Ball is a classic. I definitely prefer it to DBZ. It lacks the five episodes dedicated to one power up and unfathomable power levels (do they even make numbers that big). Dragon Ball is fun and interesting with plenty of humor. For sure, this anime is for comedy and action lovers. The battles aren't drawn out and can be pretty unexpected. There are some inconsistencies and the ending fell a little flat which is why this score isn't higher; however, all and all, 150 episodes and I wasn't bored.

Animation: Since Dragon Ball is an older anime, the animation is as great as present day stuff, but that's expected. For it's time, the animation is good. The characters are memorable and bold. The scenery is lacking but it's not nearly as bad as DBZ (Dragon Ball's world consists of more than city and island).

Sound: Not too memorable but still nice. I watched the English dub because I couldn't find the original so can't say much about the seiyuus. The English voices were good though.

Characters: Ah, the characters. Son Goku is so funny and cute. Dragon Ball makes a lasting impression with it's colorful and entertaining cast. I loved most of them. However, Bulma and some of the villians (like Emperor Pilaf) were just so annoying, which is why this isn't a higher score. Bulma is even more annoying then most of the shojo girls I've watched/read and that's saying something. Little redeeming qualities that girl has. However, the other characters more than make up for that.

Overall: I found myself entertained and engaged in Dragon Ball and I would recommend this to most people. There is some nudity but nowhere near ecchi. Although it's lengthy, it doesn't feel that long.

Other Anime Reviews by nasreen10

• Story 7.5/10
  • Animation 7.5/10
  • Sound 7.5/10
  • Overall 7.5/10

comments

hrmn avatar hrmn
Mar 16, 2010

Great review!  I agree completely with most of what you said.  Goku's the best and Bulma would've been better off with more backbone and less whine.