default avatar

• Joined Aug 13, 2012
  • ? / ?

Himitsu no Ai-chan

Jul 8, 2013

Overall I am really enjoying this manga, shoujo fans like me will enjoy this one. The characters are great, there's no overly annoying or ridiculous characters, and the story itself is engaging. That's my summed up opinion.

If you're not into shoujo, stear clear this is definitely geared towards shoujo fans, if you've never read shoujo this would be a good one to start out.

Ok at first I thought this was just going to be a Kaicho wa Maid-sama rip off, however I've fallen in love with Ai & Reo and I have never felt that Reo was like Usui, or Ai was like Aizawa.  Also Ai is strong without being stupid, so often I see shoujo mangas with a heorine that has a ridiculously embelished flaw, like incredibly stupidity, clumsiness that defies the laws of physics, but Ai is a great character. She's a strong girl without being inhumanly strong, and she's not so stupid that she doesn't understrand the situation after some reflection or hindsight. Kudos to the mangaka who has done very well to make these characters feel unique yet real enough to have readers fall in love. Although I blanched a little when I came across Takumi...it took me a little bit to get past the name, I still love the rivals Ikumi and Takumi. I love Ai's brothers as well, if only Ritsuka would stop trying to give away his sister to Reo.

I couldn't give more than a 7 on the story as compared to the high marks every where else. I just can't ignore the fact that this premise has already been successfully done by Hiro Fujiwara, (OK can you tell I'm a little bias when it comes to Maid-sama), so you get the picture. In any case despite the fact that I don't think the story is all that original, I'm still enjoying it. I love the shoujo rules of romance, and nowhere in the story did I ever feel the story was overdramatic or ridiculous, it is very balanced with its elements of comedy vs drama, and the plot is engaging.

JtkBasketball says...

Great review. I was on the fence about this manga, but you swayed me. Thank you :)

Jul 13, 2013