default avatar

mustardbomb

• Joined Sep 15, 2012
  • 28 / ?

Wow! I really needed a change of pace, and this murder mystery series really filled that void.

And I do love mysteries, I really do, but where this anime shines is it's direction. The show's directing takes obvious inspiration from American Noir films of the '40s, and I can really appreciate that. The style definitely improves what was already a good story.

The art and voice acting also play into this. Nothing is over the top, nothing is exaggerated. All the stylistic choices went for the more low-key option making subtlety king. You can watch episodes multiple times and pick up different nuances in both the performance and the animation that, I believe, hint to a fair amount of subtext, well done.

The characters themselves are also incredibly well developed to the point where I'm more inclined to call them "people". We care about their journey, their trials, their tribulations. Not only are they written with snappy dialogue, but they are also human. They have faults, and aren't the perfect caricatures we so often see.

Now, the show can get rather dark sometimes, and this suffers it's quality for the ball of sunshine that this reviewer is, but points can't be knocked off for that. Just, as a fair warning, keep on your toes.

After viewing this, my friend mentioned a novelization of the show that came out. I'll be sure to read it, and amend this review with impressions when I do. But the fact that I want to experience the same story twice speaks volumes to it's quality. You, as a viewer, simply must watch this.

My only gripe is that the ending of the show wasn't too conclusive, and this would usually be a big point of contention with me. But with that novel available, I'm holding out that they'll improve it on the second try.

SANC16 says...

This show is boring. I can't last 6 episodes though the opening theme is excellent

Feb 23, 2013