default avatar

• Joined Sep 15, 2012
  • 28 / ?

Clannad

Sep 15, 2012

I like to think we as a planet have evolved since the early twentieth century. We hold and value others equally, regardless of their appearance/ethnicity, and judge them on merit.

Most of the time anyway, racists and sexists still exist, but they are few and far between, no?

Hm, maybe. But what if an entire writing staff was full of these people? Also the actors who read the produced lines, the artists who agreed to produce this mess, and any other staffers associated with a certain show.

The percentage of bigots in the world seems to be shooting up in recent times, creating somewhat of an inverse bell curve.

The point of all this is I was genuinely surprised when I encountered Clannad. This is the story of how an average Joe (Male) causally waltzes into the lives of five women who just can't help themselves. They have problems, they're flawed, but do they have the ability to heal? Nope.

That is, until they meet our main character, Tomoya. Suddenly, life has meaning, the sun shines anew, and their status becomes it's ascent from the gutter. Women incapable of leading a fulfilling life until a man helps them.

Yeah.

Great lesson for the kids, KyoAni.

No, seriously, this is terrible. I know Japan is a misogynistic society, so I'm not surprised, but this should not be ported and dubbed in America. This whole show is a disgrace to the women's movement and all of feminism.

Putting that aside, let's judge the technical aspects of the show.

Art? Passable, but the animation kills it. Not much happens, and yet they can't even animate the paint drying without a good amount of choppiness.

Voice acting..wow. I seriously think the same actress voices every one of the female main characters. (Badly, I might add) Way to show some effort, guys.

And the characters (Though I prefer the term cardboard cut-out in this case) are all worthless stereotypes. Every single one of them.

I'm not paying too much attention to these though, as they don't matter. Once the show is outright bigoted, I can't see past that.

It is worthless as anime, and indeed, as any form of entertainment.

Rebkkah says...

You obviously have issues. Basically you're saying the anime is sexist because the lead character is male.

Being the lead character, the anime is supposed to revolve around him, the other characters are supposed to be dependant upon him... he's the lead character. Just like nearly every other anime in this genre, male or female, the lead is always the catalyst. That's why there is a lead character.

I think you need to take a good look at who is being sexist. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have written such a review if it was a female lead.

Nov 26, 2012
Robbhus says...

You were clearly drunk when you wrote this. This has to be the most stupidest reviews I've ever read. The animation is at top-class. Only KEY can make so good work. The music and voice-acting is so incredibly good that it deserves a 10. I must agree that the animation can be a little while of the same pictures, but this is a drama, not a phycotic Bleach-style series. Im disapointed of someone not paying atention to such vital details.

Nov 12, 2012
TaylorTrex says...

Seriously? I'm shocked, I really am. How on earth can you say Clannad is worthless? Clannad is my favourite anime of all time. I cried and laughed so hard lots of times, and the story is just beautiful. I've even watched Clannad and Clannad AF two times through..But of course, you have your own opinion about this, but seriously, it's not as bad as you make it sound.

Nov 12, 2012