marcrollins's avatar

marcrollins

• Joined Sep 13, 2011
  • ? / ?

This is a match made in heaven, and literature.

Lupin the III, grandson of Arsene Lupin, takes on Sherlock Holmes' protege: Boy Detective Conan.  It feels like a homage to the book written by Maurice Leblanc where Lupin the I takes on Herlock Sholmes(originally Sherlock holmes, but the title was changed because of a lawsuit, much like how Lupin's name was changed to Edgar in France... Also because of a lawsuit.)

Anyway, this story is right on with a scenario we could see in either Lupin or Conan's TV program but this has large portions of artistic-style from both shows as well as other exterior sources.  All in all the animation is a delicious mish-mash of styles that clash but work together so wonderfully you'll be wondering how they pulled it off rather than comparing the two styles.

All the primary and secondary characters are great and seem like they've been pulled right out of the original TV broadcasts, plus all of the character seem at the top of their game for this Abbott & Costello-esque switch-up.

I went into this film with a certain mind-set about what to expect and was completely blown away with how Lupin and Conan would match-up.

And I love how, in turn, Conan meets each of Lupin's gang and always comments "You don't seem like a bad-guy, so why are you doing bad things?" or something similar, some of the scenes are really ingenius so I have to give it to the writers for this one.

If you like either show then you'll love this movie; it's got all the feel of a crime-mystery but doesn't let you down as far as the jokes and slapstick is concerned. This is a great match-up and they didn't have to change any of the characters to create the smooth flow of this film.

Make sure you enjoy any, if not all, of the 20 Lupin TV-specials before you watch this one and a few Conan movies if you can, this one isn't only for nostalgic value though, this will be great for new fans aswell.

Grab a few friends and knock a few drinks back, this one is gonna have you staring at the screen in awe of the magic the entire time.