maladox's avatar

• Joined May 30, 2012
  • ? / M

Death Note

May 31, 2012

there's not really many negative things i can say about this show, so i will just get the few complaints of mine out at the beginning here;

-the misa character can be quite the mood-killer...
-the near character just seemed like a pointless repetition...
-the shinigamis are just... ugly...

now that those minor bugs of mine are out of the way lets get to the positive side;

-love the sort of *battle of the geniuses* theme. if you really pay attention there are so many little details to the plot that make it un-fold into a wonderful mystery-detective sort of thing.
-i'm quite the fan of the very dark, psychological drama shows, and this show is very very dark, and very very psychological...
-in most shows you kinda know what you want to happen in the end, like if it's a love-polygon you already know who you want the main character to hook-up with in the end... with death note, i had no idea what i wanted to happen, i was clueless to it, which meant that what ever turn the show took nothing ever phased me and made me say "noooo not that!" ... i suppose this is a great way to get swept away into the story
-this show is great in the anti-hero department, it really puts you inside the head of a criminal

so those are all my positive and negative comments, now down to regulation;

-story : though the story is somewhat of a cliche *some guy goes crazy with power* it's also very well-done. sort of like if i took the *saving the princess from the dragon* cliche and fleshed it out, and gave it a very refreshing style, then turned it into the best fantasy adventure story you ever heard. : 9
-art : the art was obviously very high-quality, though some of the facial expressions seemed very odd to me, but i assume this was to add emphases. i really liked a lot of the things they would do with the art to effect the mood, like giving everything the red tint, or whenever light was giving off that *evil* aura they would turn his eyes bright red. : 8
-sound : in regards to voices i had watched the dubbed version. i remember thinking a lot of lights little sister's lines sounded kinda forced, but she doesn't talk very much anyway so it's not a big deal. other than that i thought it had very well-done dubs. *i watched the first few episodes with subs, i liked the dubs better =/ that's an opinionated matter though*. in regards to music i was really pretty oblivious to it. i didn't really think it was anything special that i would go and get the ost for, but it certainly wasn't bad and there were plenty of neat tracks. : 7
-character : this is certainly the most "wow" department. this show does such a wonderful job with interesting characters and as i said before really puts you inside their head. i find it hard to put it into any other words than "wow" ... : 10
-enjoyment : i flew through this series in two days and just couldn't get enough of it, the only reason it loses a point here is because the second arc seemed like repetition... : 9
-overall : 10

* i feel bad when i find myself giving something such a high grade... but ... i tried as hard as i could to not be "that die-hard fan" but it really is just *that good* ...* so definitely, definitely give this show a try if you haven't already!

FotacienShado Nov 22, 2012

I like and agree with the top three points you wrote. personally I thought there should hae been a nice little twist as to how L could've planned ahead and nullify REM's act of killing him, I myself can think of a few loopholes but no need to paste them. And i like your point about Misa being a kill-the-mood character, but i doubt that the story would've been as good as it had she not been the way she was. Great review, with reviews these good, no need to write my own.