lulubloo's avatar

• ? / F

Grave of the Fireflies

Nov 18, 2012

Word for Grave of the fireflies: Sob-Fest

Well, well, well. Here we are. Reviewing Studio Ghibli. How did it come to this? No. Stop. Grave of the Fireflies. Can I first start by saying, ALL OF THE FEELS?

Like actually Studio Ghibli. wth Man WTH?
No seriously. I grew up watching Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away. And one day I felt a little nostalgia creeping in so I grabbed grave of the fireflies.

I didn't cry so much when my dog died.

The movie starts out with depression, like right off the bat, bam! Dead person. Then Bam! Japan during WW2. Throw in a lot of hunger and some tear shed (and some fireflies) and that's basically the movie right up until the end when unsuprisingly another character dies.

This is the most emotional movie I have ever seen (animated or otherwise). It should be more critically acclaimed than it is, but at the same time I find it very hard to watch.
As much as I love this movie it is very difficult to watch something that drains me emotionally.

The Story. It's not brilliant, it's not horrible, the story is deep and depressing, letting the audience in on the characters' lives. Although both main characters have sad stories to tell it is more how they deal that matters, not the plot itself. (Although the plot alone can make you cry)
The Animation.  The artwork in Grave of the Fireflies is some of Studio Ghibli's finest work, each scene is so beautifully constructed allowing for harsh war scenes and pure and simple scenes between the siblings. This movie has inspired me greatly to improve my own artwork, and I would say that this was the first time I fell in love with Studio Ghibli's art. None of their other movies can even hold a candle to this one.
The Sound. The voices for our main characters are beautiful, the speech is wonderful, the voices are brilliant and the personalities shine right through the voice actors. Setsuko has the sweetest, most pure voice I have ever heard and the voice actress needs to be high-fived on a daily basis. The music, done by Michio Mamiya, is beautiful and simple. The contrasting sweet music but bitter scenes help push the story along with Seita's narration. Some of my favourite songs come from this movie, as the overall tone of the music is very calming and relaxing.
The Characters.  No matter how sad and depressed I get watching this movie the characters become a part of me each time. It hurts me emotionally to see them go  through such suffering. They cry, I cry. They hurt, I hurt. They die, I wish I was dead. I usually don't so much fall in love with characters (rather actors, scenery, and plot) but this movie is heavily pushed forward by the characters and I really like that aspect.

The Good. As a whole the movie is amazing, sad and wonderful and truly reminds me of how grateful I should feel to be alive. It is historically accurate and leaves me in tears each time the credits role. Each time watching this movie is like your first time and I like that.
The Bad. Sometimes a movie can be just too damn sad. I find it hard to watch this movie and not feel sick for days after. It haunts the viewer and is not for the easily depressed nor is it a very good movie for children (enter sobbing, confused child here). I also can not handle the end scene :CASUAL SPOILERS: In the film's final scene, the spirits of Seita and Setsuko are seen healthy, well-dressed and happy as they sit together, surrounded by fireflies, and look down on the modern city of Kobe. Just. Ugh. They're children. Too many feels. TOO MANY!

Overall Feels: This movie is a classic and should remain that way, I think everyone should  see it at least once and I hope it affects people the same way it has affected me.

So you see, I love this movie. And I hate it. There is nothing wrong with Grave of the Fireflies as long as you have ice cream, tissue and a friend to call after you've sobbed like a small child for 90 minutes of pure sadness.

9.5/10 animation