lelouchllover's avatar

lelouchllover

• In front of a blank sheet, doodling
  • Joined Nov 9, 2009

Baka to test to Shoukanjuu, a series that got a huge hype and is considered a really good series by some people. Someone recommended it to me saying it was darn funny, but seriously, I didn't laugh one minute.

On the story side, Baka and test is...weak. It tells some stupid premise and uses some stupid jokes that are a remash of anime humor that I have seen in tons of different other series. So in general, the humor of the series was not original and uninspired. It was supposed to be a hilarious silly comedy, but it didn't make burst with laughter, not even close to a grin.

The animation, still not the best I ever seen, was colorful with a really original palette of contrasts. The character design, even though childish, does it,s job and is nice to look at.

The sound track of Baka and Test was ok, It didn't striked as innovative or inspired but it was just ok and fitted the series. The voica acting was normal for me, and apart from Shimono Hiro who voiced Yoshii, none of the cast's voice actors appealed to me.

Opening section: Colorful, but that's it.

Ending section: Annoying songs.

What Baka and Test tries to do best is the interelation between the vast cast of different(silly) characters. They could have been way more detailed, but my greatest complaint is the blandness of those characters.Apart from repeating every damn joke a hundred times, they look like utter clichés of tons of other series. Some series reuse those clichés but still bring something completely new to the character to make them more interesting. Something that Baka and Test did not do and just ''splashed'' the character on the screen literally without developping much.I know this is supposed to be a silly series, but that genre is one of my favorites, and well Baka and Test was a failure for me.

Overall, if you're reasonably new in the anime business ( 20 anime series and less), I consider this a good start. Apart from that, I found this series almost a waste of time. I liked the RPG-elements though and my favorite episode remains the first one.

Note: Funimation licensed the series and released it to DVD/Blu-Ray during Summer 2011. The packaging is nice. But one season was way enough for me and I will not watch the second season.

Score: 3/5. Fairly mediocre. When will I have yet to see perfection? I wonder.

HNGGHH. Kinoshita X3.

Next! Zombie-Loan, Towa no Quon 2 and my actual reviews od Soul Eater and Guardian of the Spirit(Seirei no Moribito)

7.5/10 animation
6.2/10 overall

RingoStarr1991 says...

Story is ehh, animation is pretty good, sound is ehh but really good Jap. and Eng. voice actors, the characters are really good and is what the show does right, overall I would give it a 7.5/10

Oct 22, 2011