lawnmower16's avatar

lawnmower16

• Joined Jul 11, 2011

Toradora!

May 2, 2012

I know what you're thinking. My scores don't make any sense. I love Toradora, but not the anime.

I read the book first, and I started watching the anime to incredible disappointment. I guess I just took the book way more seriously than the creators of this anime did. The animation is fine, the voice actors suit their characters very well, and the story and characters themselves are phenomenal. But this anime does not tell the emotional, bittersweet story I read in the novel. They condensed the first book into two zany, slapstick episodes that Prompted me to drop the series.

So, that's it. My short review/rant about Toradora. If you haven't read the book, you'll probably love it, but if you have, you might be disappointed.

Edit: I have watched a little more of the series, and read a couple more of the books. I don't know if the books changed tone or if I have just come to terms with the style of the anime, but I'm kind of starting to like it. It has always been a great story, and the characters just make me wish I could be there with them. Minori seemed to be a totally ridiculous character in the anime as opposed to the novel, but I guess in the first book, she wasn't very fleshed out anyway, so maybe she was like that from the beginning. In retrospect, the reason I thought the first book should have been stretched out over more episodes is probably due to the fact that it took me a very long time to read the book, since I was reading it in Japanese. Now that I have improved and can read a short novel in about a week if I try, it doesn't seem like such a bad adaptation anymore.

tl;dr my rating still stands (for now,) but I now plan to actually finish it as I finish the books, and maybe I will adjust my rating when that time comes. Could be a year, could be a few months, depending on how fast I can improve my Japanese. I hope it's the latter.