jypsyjulia

30 APR
2012

**spoiler heaven galore

***I am ranting like crazy in this review and I really don't care if it's harsh.

LOL, what the hell did I just watch?

The STORY of No. 6 started out so well!  I was seriously excited to see how the animators and producers would take this dystopian society and destroy it.  I especially loved introducing the killer bees as a way to control the people and as a way for the people to fear the city.  I love dystopian and post-apocalyptic books so much and thought this anime would be right up my alley.  Unfortunately, I was very wrong.

Instead of following the dystopian path, this story suddenly takes a weird turn.  I love sci-fi as much as the next person - maybe even more so - but if you're going to introduce a supernatural element to a story/anime/movie/whatever, then you need to have been introducing it slowly all along.  You can't just dump this kind of thing on your viewers and expect it to fly.  Because it doesn't.  I understand that we get a weird "taste" of the supernatural around episode 7 when Safu and Nezumi pass out and head Elyurias' song... but really?  You waited until episde 7 out of 11 to introduce this?  NO.

And the ending!  Oh my gosh, don't even get me started on that stupid, rushed ending!  It was horrible.  I was pretty content with the story up until maybe episode 9, which is the only reason that this earned a 3 instead of a flaming 1.  But to just blame everything on the supernatural, to not even dive into the history of No. 6 (no... what they did in this anime was NOT diving at all.  It was not), and to completely forget the entire earlier plotline... ugh.  It was a total cop-out ending and I HATE magical resurrections.  Ranting about this makes me want to lower the rating.

I personally really liked the ANIMATION for No. 6.  I mean, it's nothing amazing, but I really loved the way Sion looked.  He looked so bad ass with his white hair and red freaky mark that swirled around his body.  In hind sight, the animation for this movie would probably be more of a 7/10.  The scenery, which could have been SO AWESOME, failed to impress and all the other character designs were boring.  But I mean... Sion!  He looked so cool.

Ew, the SOUND.  I hated the OP and it didn't grow on me.  I also disliked the ending song as well.  It felt totally inappropriate for the feel of this anime and it didn't make sense.  All of the seiyuus were fine and I loved Nezumi's singing, but I can't get past that horrendous OP.  I think I understand where the creators were coming from when they chose that song, but they failed.

The CHARACTERS were sort of an epic fail for this anime.  Mostly we're dealing with Nezumi, Safu, Sion and Karan (Sion's mom) and NONE OF THEM MADE ANY SENSE.  Well, I take that back.  Nezumi stayed true to his character and developed nicely, but he was the only one.  Wait.  NO.  I take some of it back, because he had a connection to Safu that made NO SENSE.  I will cover that in Safu's section though.

Sion goes batshit insane in episode 11 and just kills a dude.  I still don't understand how that happened.  I was super confused throughout this entire ending.  And then, after he kills a dude, he comes to and suddenly is all innocent and bunnies and chocolate fudge again.  No.  No sir.  You just killed a man.  You are no longer allowed to be all sunshine and daisies.  Yes, the first shot was to defend Nezumi and I get that.  The second shot, however, was in absolute, terrifying, I-am-a-sociopath cold blood.  There's no getting around that.

Safu... seriously, what the fuck?  Sorry, but really.  Why was she a perfect sample?  Why was she a perfect match for Elyurias?  Was she a forest folk?  Not to my knowledge.  Wouldn't Nezumi have been a better sample?  ANNNNDDDD why the heck did Safu hear Elyurias' song?  I understood Nezumi hearing it because he was a forest folk and that was his "Mother", but why Safu?  Why were they even remotely connected and then NOTHING WAS EXPLAINED?

And finally, Karan... oh, Sion's mom.  Your existence confuses me.  I mean, she was one of the creators of No. 6 and yet she knows NOTHING about it.  You'd think her character would be so much more vital, more knowledgable and more helpful.  But instead she serves as a plot device that does nothing and adds nothing to the story.  They should have just taken out the fact that she helped create No.6 because that's retarded.

Also, side note, if No. 6 had only been recently created, how did it get so evil, so fast?  I mean, we're talking like 30 years.  No.  NO.  People don't just fall into dystopian societies like that in 30 years.  They have to be eased into it and then before they know, they're taken over.  Someone go read "Brave New World" and put me out of my misery.

I'm mad again.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT might shock you, but it was probably like a 9/10 UNTIL THE STUPID ENDING AND THEN IT BECAME A 1/10.  Yes, I needed to use caps to emphasize how angry the ending made me.

OVERALL, DO NOT WATCH THIS ANIME.

Other Anime Reviews by jypsyjulia

Lotte no Omocha! user review by jypsyjulia

Lotte no Omocha!

Blue Exorcist user review by jypsyjulia

Blue Exorcist

Highschool of the Dead user review by jypsyjulia

Highschool of the Dead

comments

jypsyjulia avatar jypsyjulia
Mar 4, 2014

@TheMagnificentOne:  I'm sorry you had to waste your time on this, though!  I hope that you've found a way to redeem that time lost!

TheMagnificentOne avatar TheMagnificentOne
Aug 31, 2013

I wish that I had seen this review before watching this.  I feel sadened and betrayed by my fellow anime-planeteers who either tricked me into watching it by giving it a good rating or are so blind, deaf, or young that they could not see just how horrible this really was. But seeing that someone else thought this was a 3 out of 10 at best... you have restored my faith a little in my fellow man.

Jan 25, 2013

Dahbjorn, I would definitely recommend steering clear of this blip!  I am glad my review could be of some service :)  Thanks for your comment!

Dahbjorn avatar Dahbjorn
Jan 5, 2013

Great review/rant ! :)

It gave me a really good feel of what this anime really is like, and I think the stuff you find annoying  here are going to really annoy me as well. Staying clear of this one :P

Thanks!

Jun 20, 2012

Thanks very much for the comment!  I'd have to go back and listen to the OP again.  All I can really remember is that it was breathy and very high pitched, but maybe I didn't give it much of a chance.

Thanks for reading my review :)