jypsyjulia's avatar

• Grand Gaia
  • Joined Feb 20, 2011

Blue Exorcist

Apr 28, 2012

**This review contains spoilers and I am not holding back, so read at your own risk.

The STORY of Blue Exorcitst follows Rin Okumura, the son of a human woman and Satan as he unlocks his Satanic powers and tries to channel them for good.  However, those standing in his way are trying to annihilate him due to his heritage, or use them for their own purposes.  Rin enlists in True Cross Academy under the tutelage of his younger twin brother, Yukio (who is also a son of Satan with out the powers) to become an exorcist.

The plotline for this anime was the bomb.  However, I had some issues towards then end when they tried to make Satan appear as a sympathetic character, even for a moment.  I'm sorry, but he is the root of all evil and trying to destroy the world.  Do you really want me to feel any bit of sorry for him?  I am glad that the sympathy is short lived and the viewers return to see Satan, as usual, being cruel and evil.

The ANIMATION for this anime was outstanding.  I mean, wow!  I absolutely loved all the character designs, all the action sequences and all fo the cool demons that they showed.  Creativity was flowing out of these pens.  I also think that the CGI they used didn't look too cheesy (except for one scene I can remember) and helped add to the anime's effect.

The SOUND was great.  I absoutely loved the first OP and the ending song.  The second OP was also good, just not as good as the first one.  I wish that they could have opted for music without lyrics during the fighting scenes, because it did take away a bit from the scene, but other than that I have no complaints.

The CHARACTERS for this anime were really cool, both human and demon characters alike.  I really loved Rin and Yukio and could understand both of their motives, even though they were so different.  i also think that all of the side characters were really well developed.  What I loved about this anime is that it puts a group of people together and sticks with the original cast.  There's only a few new characters introduced, mostly for plot-related purposes, and they enhance the anime.  But I was really able to learn about the characters without being overwhelmed.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT of this anime was probably the same as the rating: a 9/10.  As I said, I disliked the fact that they tried to make the viewer feel any kind of sympathy for Satan, and I think that because of that I am unable to stay objective about certain parts of the rating.  Other than that, though, this anime moved very quickly and was jammed with action.  I honestly feel that they could have made this anime a 50 episode anime just fine without having to use too many fillers or anything.

OVERALL, this anime scores a 9/10.  In a word, it was epic.  Check it out.

jypsyjulia says...

I appreciate your feed back, but I do not appreciate you calling my review misguided.  I felt as if they could have easily lengthened many of the battles; such as the last battle with Yukio/Satan.  I love a good debate on an anime, but not one that is insulting.

Jun 20, 2012
roriconfan says...

"this anime moved very quickly and was jammed with action.  I honestly feel that they could have made this anime a 50 episode anime just fine without having to use too many fillers or anything."

This part is what makes your whole review to be misguiding. The anime had very simple plot and action and half of it was fillers before it ended openly. It was a bellow average shounen and a shame to the genre.

Apr 29, 2012