jypsyjulia's avatar

• Grand Gaia
  • Joined Feb 20, 2011

Spice and Wolf

Apr 27, 2012

The STORY of Spice and Wolf follows a traveling merchant, named Lawrence, who accidentally stumbles across a naked, sleeping woman.  When she wakes up, she introduces herself as Horo: The Wise Wolf.  The village people believe in a wolf god who controls the harvest, so naturally Lauwrence is suspicious until she shows him her wolf form.  From there, the two agree to travel together to get Horo back to her home in the North.

The story itself was not anything substantial.  There were twists and turns and betrayals as the two characters travel, but the focus is really on the relationship between Horo and Lawrence.  This is not a plot-based anime as much as it is a character-based one.

The ANIMATION was fine.  It was nothing particularly amazing, but I would say it was above average. I wish that some scenery had stuck out.  This is an alternate universe that resembles our medevial history.  I think there could have been some really wicked opportunities to make some of the scenery beautiful, but they seemed to skim over it.

The SOUND for the OP was lovely.  It's not necessarily something I would personally Youtube, but if someone burned a copy for me and this OP was on it, then I would not skip over it.  Also, the voice actors did a great job.  I listened to the English dub of this and I particularly liked Lawrence's voice.  it was very natural and flowed easily.

The CHARACTERS were what really made this anime what it is.  The relationship between Lawrence and Horo is one the viewer knows would never really work out, but you're still rooting for them.  Other interesting characters are introduced as well, such as Chole and Nora - who was my personal favorite.  Each character had a backstory that explained their motives and you could understand why they did what they did.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT of this anime is more of a 10/10.  I had a lot of fun watching this!  I will say that around episode 9 and 10 I got bored and began to websurf, but it caught my attention again by episode 11.

OVERALL, this anime earns an 8/10.  I would recommend this anime to anyone who loves fantasy.  This is a high fantasy anime with magical qualities and made up lands and all of that neat stuff, so if something like that floats your boat, check it out.