jypsyjulia's avatar

• Grand Gaia
  • Joined Feb 20, 2011

Highschool of the Dead

Apr 24, 2012

The STORY of High School of the Dead is one that has been used a thousand times, but is always really fun to watch.  The world has been taken over by zombies and an eclectic group of teenage human survivors (plus one nurse/teacher) band together to stay alive.  They form bonds and relationships, cause drama and tension, all while kicking some serious ass and posing for various panty shots.

The ANIMATION for HotD was really nice and I really liked the character designs.  I felt as if I would be able to tell the characters apart, even if you shaved off their hair (which is such a rarity nowadays).  I believe the only aspect holding this rating back is that the females were completely disproportinate.  I can understand the appeal of large breats - who can't? - but the nurse turned me off completely.  I understand that she was made to be the comic relief and I'm sure her body proportions were made to be laughed at, but it sort of made me cringe.

The SOUND for HotD was fun!  I really liked the OP and the voice actors did a terrific job.  I felt as if they all added to the cast and brought their own unique take on the characters, making them fun and relatable.  The music during the show was fun as well, although nothing stood out as particularly amazing.  I can say the same for the Ending credits.

The CHARACTERS of this anime is what really made it fun!  We've all seen the zombie plot a million times, so the writers relied on their characters to really set the stage.  I found them all to be relatable, unique and different - adding their own flavor to the soup of survivors.  I have seen a lot of those character types before, however: especially Kohta and the genius girl whose name I can't remember.  I think the reason this got as high as it did is because I was completely in love with Saeko.  I mean, holy crap!  That is one amazing woman.  If I were a dude, I would want her.  Heck, I do even now.

There was ONE HUGE drawback to the characters that lowered it.  I tried to be objective about it, but I can't.  The nurse seriously pissed me off.  Not so much that she was ditzy and all, because I know she's supposed to be the comedic relief (although I honestly felt like if they eliminated her character, I would have liked this show better), but because she is gross.  I am an educator and work with students every day so when it comes to teachers hitting on their students, it is a seriously sensitive subject for me.  She practically molested Takahashi and Kohta (heck, she did grab T's penis) and she had some weird scenes in the bathroom with the girls.  You all might be saying, "But she's 26!"  Well, I'm even younger than that, so no.  Shit like this doesn't fly and I HATE that it's taken as comedy.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT of this series was probably more of a 9/10.  I really had a lot of fun watching this.  I know it's an overused plot, as I've mentioned twice, but it's a fun one and I think the creators did a great job making characters that would be suited for a life like this and still drive each other nuts.  I did have a bit of an issue with some of the ecchi (mainly involving the nurse), though.  I feel like it would have been a lot better if it had been a bit subdued.  I'm not just saying that because I'm a girl, either.  Ecchi in general doesn't bug me - I don't like it, but it's fine.  That being said, because this was about death and zombies and killing, the ecchi felt out of place and forced.  I got the same feeling when watching Elfen Lied too.

OVERALL, I give High School of the Dead a 7/10, solid.  If you're looking for something action packed, a bit gory and with plenty of panty shots, then check this out.  If anything, it's only 12 episodes and makes for a fun, quick watch.