jypsyjulia's avatar

• Grand Gaia
  • Joined Feb 20, 2011

Angel Beats!

Apr 22, 2012

The STORY of Angel Beats! was confusing and weirdly executed.  The first half of the anime is seriously boring.  I was practically passing out during it and really wanted to drop this.  Because of how boring I found it to be, I stopped watching for a very long time.  When I had finally picked it back up, I was on episode 8.  After episode 10, the story really gets moving and becomes very interesting, but why did I have to wait 10 episodes for such a thing?  Honestly.

Also, the anti-Angel campaign becomes really wearisome.  I feel like Yuri is just operating on her own schedule and never truly tries to figure out the facts.  Instead she just plots against Angel over and over again and it becomes really tedious.  For someone who feels such a vendetta, I would have thought she would have done her research.

I did appreciate all of the gaming references.  Everytime a character talked about The Guild or an NPC, I burst into a fit of giggles.

The ANIMATION in this was absolutely flawless.  I was blow away, but then again, it's KEY so what do you expect?  This company always seems to have the most beautiful animations I've ever seen.  I also really liked that the character designs were different.  It seems that most animes are always going to re-use character designs and some of them did look a bit alike, but I think there was a decent amount of variety in this.

Yeah, the SOUND blew me away.  The OP and ending were so beautiful that I rarely fastforwarded through either of them.  Instead i would just let them play.  I could see myself Youtubing both of these songs to hear them again.  Also, the voice acting (I heard this in English and if you know me, you know my aversion to dubs in general) was shockingly good!  I especially liked Hinata's voice actor and thought he did a superb job.  It's a very rare day when I like a dub, but I can honestly say I liked this more dubbed than subbed. (I saw the first half subbed).

The CHARACTERS were average. I don't feel that any of them stuck out in any way or would be memorable, but they all played their parts and were interesting.  Of course I liked Otonashi and Hinata's characters, because they were the good guys, respected Yuri's character and got annoyed with the ones I was supposed to get annoyed with.  Like I said, they all played their roles well but there was never anything that stuck out or any shock factor to them.  They did exactly what you expected of them and that was a bit boring.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT of this show was more along a 5/10.  I just didn't really liked it.  I can see why others like it however, and I have friends who tell me they cried.  I never even felt like crying because I did't feel the characters were personable enough to relate to or the story engaging enough to keep my constant attetion. (Although I am the first to admit that it's hard in general to keep my attention).

OVERALL, I give this anime a 7/10.  I feel like the grade of a C is accurate.  While the second half could have easily earned an A, the first half was so awful and boring that i cannot overlook it.  I also feel like the characters didn't develop nearly as well as they should have considering they had ten episodes of blah to figure themselves out.  I probably would not recommend this unless you're a gamer and I think you'd find the no-perma-death amusing and the occasional gaming jargon.