jypsyjulia

Softenni

17 JUL
2011

The STORY of Softenni follows a group of young girls and their aspirations for their soft tennis dreams - mostly, to make it to nationals. (Or to Wimbledon - which can't be done). The cliches in this anime are overdone - especially the amnesia arc. This is a sports anime with a lot of forced ecchi and comedy thrown in between to try and spice things up, but unfortunately it fails to deliver.

The ANIMATION is very cartoon-y and really, quite awful.  The background is normally a blur of a scenery and it looks as if the animators created this in one day.  The character designs are pretty diverse enough not to confuse each other with, but there were two particular characters that had nearly the same character design and I would always get confused when I saw them.

The SOUND was actually not horrible for this anime.  I didn't mind the music added into each scene and the seiyuu's were decent.  The OP made me want to jump off a roof.  I'm not kidding.  I played it so that I could listen to it and my mom even got mad because it was so annoying.  THE Ending song was pretty decent, though.

The CHARACTERS... oh my gosh, I don't even know where to start.  They were just awful, in my opinion.  There's nothing wrong with re-using character types if it is done well.  But nothing about this was done well.  I did enjoy the interesting relationship between Kotone and Misshi, and Kurusu could be funny on occasion with her strange outfits, but that was it.  I maybe laughed once.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT of this series falls into the negatives.  I was so incredibly bored that I found myself doing other things online sometimes and then having to backtrack to make sure I didn't miss anything in the anime.  Once I realized there was nothing to miss, I stopped backtracking.

OVERALL, I would never recommend this anime.  Ever.  Maybe that's a bit harsh, but in my opinion, everyone should stay far, far away.

Other Anime Reviews by jypsyjulia

Gosick user review by jypsyjulia

Gosick

Vandread user review by jypsyjulia

Vandread

comments

jypsyjulia avatar jypsyjulia
Jun 20, 2012

@SmileCitrus: Oh, I understand completely :/  I was checking my email AND surfing the web AND spacing out, haha!

@Lurddoc: Yes, such a bummer :(  Thanks for the comment!

Lurddoc avatar Lurddoc
Aug 13, 2011

Agreed. When I heard about this I was expecting an actual serious show about a girls' soft tennis club but was disappointed with it - for all the same reasons you mentioned as well.

SmileCitrus avatar SmileCitrus
Jul 19, 2011

I couldn't agree with you more. This was one of the few shows that was insubstantial enough to allow me to actualy read my email while watching it and not feel like I was missing anything. The volume of gags was high enough so that one or two per episode would get a smile out of me, but about 9 out of 10 jokes were simply not amusing.