jypsyjulia's avatar

jypsyjulia

• Grand Gaia
  • Joined Feb 20, 2011

The STORY of AnoHana follows hikikomori's Jintan who is now being followed by the ghost of his childhood, Menma.  He, along with their old friends, has to restore a wish for her so that she can pass on to heave and leave them in peace; however, when Menma returns, so does a lot of old hurts and problems from the past and they find themselves in a whirlwind of selfish desires and secrets and growing up.

The ANIMATION for this anime was nearly flawless.  It was like Eden of the East on animation-crack.  I especially loved Poppo's design, however I felt like the character designs in general were overdone and I had seen them in a lot of noitaminA's works before.  Maybe that's unfair - but I did want a bit more creativity.

The SOUND was flawless.  The music, especially.  It was perfectly suited for the occasion and added to the scenes rather than take away from them.  Not to mention, this anime had some pretty fantastic seiyuu's onboard that lived up to their legendary status.

The CHARACTERS were what ran this anime - this was a character centered anime rather than a plot centered one.  And they were flawlessly displayed as well.  They all had their own secrets that related to Menma and they all perfectly balanced out the other - with Menma being the type of glue that held them together.  I especially though Yukiatsu was interesting with his character development being very sporadic.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT of this series was a 10000000.  I needed this.  After watching animes that just aren't doing much for me, seeing this was like a dream come true.  I really loved this anime and thought that it was perfect.  I was shocked that I actually cried - it's been a long time since I've shed tears over an anime.

OVERALL, I would absolutely recommend this anime. Anyone, anytime. But make sure you have a few tissues handy for some dramatic scenes.

jypsyjulia says...

Thank you, Xellie!

Aug 25, 2012
xellie99 says...

Good review, and honestly you summed up almost exactly how I felt about it

Jul 24, 2012