jypsyjulia

Deadman Wonderland

2 JUL
2011

**This review contains spoilers.

The STORY was just shy of receiving a perfect 10 because of how rushed it felt at certain times to me.  It felt like it had so much to tell but was being condensed into a very quick-paced anime.  Honestly, this doesn't bother me all that much, but it does take away from a 10 score.  I thought that the entire Deadman Wonderland playground was sadistic and presented so well.  Shiro being The Red Man was a bit of a cliche, however I have every hope that this anime will be able to convey it spectacularly in a (hopefully) season two.

For me, the ANIMATION was awesome!  I loved Shiro's character designs the most.  Her body suit was so interesting.  I also loved Karako's character design and the entire set up of Deadman Wonderland.  It was a bit cartoon-y, which I usually don't like, however that didn't stop me from appreciating some of the awesome visual effects - such as when all the Deadman used their blood powers (especially Crow's and Karako's).

The SOUND... wow, I was literally blown away.  If there was a score of 100, this would be it.  I loved the OP like I haven't loved an OP since Eva (so many memories).  And I always thought the creepy music they played during the scene's was so perfect for the entire feel of the series.  Of course, I always seem to love characters voiced by Romi Pak because she is just such a talented seiyuu - but all of the seiyuu's did a fantastic job.  There is nothing I could possibly critique in the sound department.

There were some CHARACTERS I really loved, like Crow, Karako and The Wretched Egg; and there were some I could have done without, like Ganta and Yoh.  Unfortunately, Ganta is the main character.  Although I did think that he went through some character development (like enhancing his Ganta Gun), I still felt like he was the same boy who had first entered Deadman Wonderland - scared, confused and hell bent on revenge.  Maybe I'm not giving him enough credit because he was a bit different, however maybe that's all they could fit into a 12 episode scale.  Yoh just made me mad - and discovering he was doing it for his sister felt like a cop-out to me.  I just felt his whole character was unnecessary and then he disappears throughout most of the series.  It felt off.  Also, I had some pretty mixed feelings about Nagi.  In my opinion, he was one of the most interesting and complex characters, but at the same time, his angst seemed disproportionate.  Sometimes he was overcome with sorrow (like when he went insane, for example), and other times he had this calm facade.  I understand the concept of hiding your pain, but he did it too well.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT for this series is a 1000000.  This was honestly my favorite series of the Spring 2011 line up and I'm very sad to see it go, however I am keeping my fingers crossed for a season two.

OVERALL, I would recommend this anime to absolutely everyone.  I haven't met anyone who didn't like this anime yet (although I'm sure there are people who don't) and I have full faith that if you give it a chance, you will like it too.

Other Anime Reviews by jypsyjulia

3 x 3 Eyes user review by jypsyjulia

3 x 3 Eyes

Itazura na Kiss user review by jypsyjulia

Itazura na Kiss

comments

jypsyjulia avatar jypsyjulia
Jun 20, 2012

Yes, roriconfan, I understand the need for you to troll all reviews.  You may kindly take your leave now.

roriconfan avatar roriconfan
May 8, 2012

"I haven't met anyone who didn't like this anime yet"

HEEEELLLOO!

jypsyjulia avatar jypsyjulia
Jul 7, 2011

Thank you!

I hope that this anime was as popular in Japan as it was on Crunchyroll! (I'm not sure about anywhere else).  Because if it was really popular, then I think it's guaranteed to make a season 2 :)  But I did buy the manga... xDDD!

kennyftw avatar kennyftw
Jul 7, 2011

Brilliant review I totally agree with every word you said ^_^

...and they have to make a season two they just have too!!!