jypsyjulia's avatar

• Grand Gaia
  • Joined Feb 20, 2011

Eden of the East

Jul 2, 2011

The STORY of Eden of the East wasn't a bad one, however this anime had been so hyped up for me that I was expecting more.  The idea of a game having to do with people's lives and connecting it to what had happened three months prior in that incident called "Careless Monday" was very interesting for me and I was easily drawn into this anime.  However, I felt something was missing - I think that with a plot like this, I expected something more action-packed, or perhaps something darker.

The ANIMATION was nice, although it was a little cartoon-y for my tastes.  Generally, I like it when anime's look just a tad bit more realistic and Eden of the East had that block-y look to it that I don't favor as well; however, it was still well done and the CG effects were quite good.

I saw Eden of the East dubbed, but it was another example of one of those rare instances when I really liked the English voice acting, so the SOUND for me was great!  I also remember really loving the OP, although I can't remember the ending much.

I really loved the CHARACTERS - especially Akira.  I very rarely love the main character, and while I didn't particularly care for Saki, I was very happy with Akira.  However, I don't believe this is an anime that has to rely on characters.  This is very much a plot-centered anime, so the characters could have been much weaker and it still would have been successful.  I did like Akira's development, but I felt a bit like it was cheating because he had amnesia - of course there's going to be great character development with a character that doesn't have any memories.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT for this series was more of a 7.  I did get a bit bored during the series and, as I said, I felt like it was lacking something.  I can't quite put my finger on what but I came away feeling empty.

OVERALL, I would recommend this anime.  In fact, it was recommended to me very highly, which might be why I didn't feel satisfied with it.  So, I recommend it to everyone, but go in with an open mind and don't think about whether it is going to be great or terrible, just take it as it is.