jypsyjulia's avatar

• Grand Gaia
  • Joined Feb 20, 2011

Cowboy Bebop

Jul 2, 2011

If there was ever a flawless anime, then Cowboy Bebop is the one.  The STORY follows four characters - Jet, Faye, Edward and Spike- as they travel the Universe as bounty hunters with their own reasons. (We could count Ein as a main character, too).  Although the first few episodes seem like it's just going to be a bit of a random episode with the three characters fighting crime and being borderline criminal themselves, the plot line soon picks up as we meet other interesting characters like Julia and Vicious and explore the pasts of each crew member.

The ANIMATION in Cowboy Bebop is absolutely amazing, even, in my opinion, the standards of 2011.  For it's time, Cowboy Bebop was extremely advanced and I think it set the standard for new animes to live up to in terms of artistic ability and CG.

Who doesn't love the "3, 2, 1, let's jam" in the beginning of Cowboy Bebop?  The SOUND of this anime was flawless.  I was once told that even the Japanese preferred to watch it in the English dub. (Look that fact up, though, because I don't know for sure).  To me, this is true example of casting.  Steve Blum and Wendee Lee together were a dream team - and their characters suited their voices perfectly.  All of the character voices were superb.  And I remember listening to the Ending song, 'Real Folk Blues' all the time back in high school.

I think the CHARACTERS of Cowboy Bebop are what really made the anime worthwhile.  Who doesn't love Ed, who makes you question her sexuality the entire time.  Girl or boy?  Who cares!  And the ever kind, yet sort of push-over, Jet.  Not to mention the elusive Julia, the extraordinary Vicious, and others.  Of course, I believe the two most loved characters were Faye and Spike - our famous leading man and femme fatale.  They made this series go from really freakin' good to a masterpiece.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT for Cowboy Bebop is actually pretty standard.  I know that I've gushed about it - and that's because I can tell that it is a seriously flawless anime.  However, when it comes to me personally, it was so-so.  Some plots and some characters really pick up people's interests while they might just fly over others.  For me, I found the enjoyment level mediocre.

OVERALL, I recommend this anime to everyone.  Even if you think you'll hate it, it's hard to deny that this anime is not a classic and will not forever be known as legendary.  Watch it for yourself and see if you agree.

jypsyjulia says...

Thanks, TheVoid! :)

Jan 25, 2013
TheVoid says...

I love the way you overlooked your personal opinions, and gave the anime a score based on what it truly is; this review is honestly unbiased and I respect you for that. Great review.

Jul 5, 2012