jypsyjulia's avatar

jypsyjulia

• Grand Gaia
  • Joined Feb 20, 2011

I know everyone boasts such high praises for this movie, but the STORY just really didn't do it for me.  I felt like everything was unnecessarily dramatic.  Don't get me wrong, I love angst.  (I really do - sometimes, my appreciation for an anime will go up if they have a tragic character death).  But it has to flow, it has to feel appropriate, and, for me, this anime just didn't have that feeling.

Of course, the actual ANIMATION was superb!  I really enjoyed the visual effects and the character design and thought that it was a flawless animation.  There really is not much like it.  It was even flawless in the details.

The SOUND enhanced every single sequence for me.  Actually the sound is what made some sequences more bearable.  Even though it felt drawn out or forced, the music did help it to flow a bit more.  I also liked all of the seiyuu's work and think they did a tremendous job.

The CHARACTERS were fine, but they were only so-so.  There were some characters I really loved and some I didn't love so much.  I didn't feel like there was much development, but then again, I guess you're not suppose to considering each sequence isn't long enough for one.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT of this movie is very low - probably somewhat of a 5.  This movie did nothing to tug at my heart strings - and I'm a pretty emotional person by nature.  (I cry all the time and I'm not even sad!)  Maybe I'm being too critical but I just didn't like it.

OVERALL, however, I give this movie a 7/10 because, even though I may not have personally liked it, I can recognize good work when I see it and the animation was so excellent that it easily helped the rating.  Also, of those I know who have watched it, most liked it.  So maybe it's just me.